first of this problem ive had...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sniper338, Mar 2, 2014.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I had a hen.. had her... killed her... but she for some reason pecked a hole in herself today and had blood everywhere... none of the other quail had blood on them... but she was all bloody and kept pecking at it... as weve all heard they do thay when theres blood... but I didnt think they qould do it to theirself...

She wasnt laying eggs like the others were eaither so Iit wasnt a loss really... all my quails days are limited though... I have a big hatch of jmf eggs due tuesday!!!

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

That is something I've never encountered either. I'd guess chalk it up to one more coturnix gone crazy. The mind of a coturnix seems to hang by a fragile thread. I've had them go charlie manson on each other for either silly reasons or none at all. Never had one peck itself. It is possible that she had picked up a cannibalism habit and couldn't resist the sight of any blood. Or it could have been something itchy that she broke open and just kept pecking. That is an odd one.

3. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I had to keep her separate because she was die hard chase and peck any other bird too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by