first one chick died, now one with blood in poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Denisemomof4, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Denisemomof4

Denisemomof4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    I posted this in the chicks section but I think it should be here. I am desperate for answers!

I have previously owned chickens, a flock of 12. I'm on my second flock and this time I bought some chicks at a chicken swap. I've previously always bought through hatcheries. I bought a frizzle and a buff orpington about a month ago. I forget how old they were but the buff died suddenly today and she measured about 6 inches from her head to her tail. She had a full set of feathers. She shared a cage with the frizzle, but I bought some more frizzles, a polish, and a sizzle at a swap about 3 weeks ago. The new chicks were smaller and when I tried to put them all together the original frizzle kept attacking the polish so I kep them separated. I did, however, put the buff in with the other chicks because I wanted them all to get used to each other before putting them out with my other four hens once they were large enough. The buff spent time in both cages this past week. I mention all of this because now i'm SO worried. My buff seemed tired Wednesday night, but I figured it was 10:00 so maybe she was just tired. She seemed ok yesterday morning and we were gone all day, arriving home around midnight. I watered and fed all the animals in the barn and didn't notice any changes in anything, but honestly, I was exhausted and didn't look closely.

This morning the poor buff was dead in her cage. My daughter and I are devastated. She was SO SWEET!!! The frizzle snuggled up to her and pecked at her foot as if to tell her to Get Up!!! When I took the buff outside to inspect her, she had bloody markings on her wings on her bottom. When I looked at the cage, there was a lot of poop, then poop with blood, then larger areas of blood. I feel SO bad that I didn't see this last night. SO BAD!

I cleaned out both cages and boiled the rubber bowls for 6 minutes because there was some blood in the feedbowl. I bleached the plastic cage and just cleared out the wooden cage and put down more hay. The frizzle who's best friend died broke my heart so I stayed with her awhile. She had a spot of blood in one dropping, then a totally white dropping, then a very large dropping with no blood. The spot of blood freaked me out. I'm worried now that our sweet buff died and infected the rest of the birds. What should I do? I will be closely inspecting stools daily from here on out. Should I treat for coccidosus? The frizzle that had the spot of blood is acting totally normal.

Is there anything I should do for my current chicks? Anything I should look out for?

I hope it's ok that I posted this here. My post in the chicks section wasn't getting a lot of traffic and I think this is more of an emergency anyway.

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes. Treat for cocci! Quickly!!

3. MonicasGarden

MonicasGarden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Hemet, California
    I agree. You should treat all the chickens that had been in contact with the buff and bleach everything. Also, its a good idea to always keep new birds seperate from the flock for about a week give or take to make sure they don't carry diseases. I'm sorry for your loss.

4. Denisemomof4

Jul 29, 2011
    Quote:this is what surprises me! I had the buff, which died, and the frizzle, which now has bloody diarrhea, a month now. I just started to put the buff in with the newer chicks, which we got about 2 weeks ago, a couple of days ago. Everyone had been fine.

Tonight I checked both cages carefully. Both have bloody diarrhea. I hope Tractor Supply has the medicine I need. I'm so sad tonight!!!

If I treat with amprolium and it's not cocci, could the medicine kill them? Could anything else be going on?

I don't think I"ll ever go to another chicken swap again.[​IMG]

5. English Teacher

English Teacher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    I am so sorry. This is all new to me, and I have no idea why your chickens are sick, but I am sorry. I lost one of my tiny Dorkings this morning, and I just did not know that I could feel so sad over a chicken. I hope yours get better.

6. Denisemomof4

Jul 29, 2011
    Quote:thank you, and I'm so sorry you lost one of yours. They're SO sweet and how can we not get attached?

7. I dont want to say this as I know its hard, but its my opinion that unless you have a large flock that would put you in financial hardship to loose....I would cull them all now. Again I'm sorry to sound so cold, but from what I see here so far I think that is the safest way out at this point for the health of future birds. Im very sorry for your loss.

8. Denisemomof4

Jul 29, 2011
    Quote:why would I do that when they haven't been around my laying hens?

9. MonicasGarden

MonicasGarden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Hemet, California
    Quote:this is what surprises me! I had the buff, which died, and the frizzle, which now has bloody diarrhea, a month now. I just started to put the buff in with the newer chicks, which we got about 2 weeks ago, a couple of days ago. Everyone had been fine.

Tonight I checked both cages carefully. Both have bloody diarrhea. I hope Tractor Supply has the medicine I need. I'm so sad tonight!!!

If I treat with amprolium and it's not cocci, could the medicine kill them? Could anything else be going on?

I don't think I"ll ever go to another chicken swap again.[​IMG]

I don't know anything about amprolium, I've only used sulmet which works great and won't kill them if they don't have cocci. I'm not really an expert so I don't know what else it could be, but when my flock got bloody poop we treated them for cocci with sulmet in the directed doses and they all made it through heathy. I hope for the best!

10. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Cocci is in the soil and if you raise chickens you are going to have to deal with it eventually. It is perfectly treatable and there is no reason to cull. There is at least 7 different strains of cocci and birds have to build up resistance to each strain they are subjected to.

Denisemomof4 - get them on Corid (amprolium) ASAP. Sulmet is good also if it's available... just be careful to follow the directions on the bottle exactly. If either of these are not available there are other coccidiostats available but these are the most commonly used and available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by