First one hatched!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BusyBlonde, Oct 29, 2011.

1. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Yesterday was day 18 - when I was adding the water to raise the humidity for lockdown, I could hear peeps.

Today, I woke up in time to watch the first chick come out of it's shell!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now I have one lonely little chick in the 'bator, drying out ... hoping to see more hatch out today!!!

And yes, I'm leaving the lid on the incubator. [​IMG]

2. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    all my eggs started to hatch early this time day 21 would have been today and i am waiting on chick number 5! are you hatching bantams by any chance both times i have hatched my bantam breeds hatched early

3. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    [​IMG] Congrats! [​IMG]

4. BusyBlonde

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Quote:No, I'm hatching Barred Rocks from my flock. This is my first hatch, and I'm totally thrilled that it's going so well so far. I've gotten so much good advice from BYC!

5. BusyBlonde

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    The second one is out! My dog, Roxy, loves to mother everything, so I'm having to keep her occupied and the door to the bedroom the incubator is in shut. She keeps going to the door and whining to get in - she LOVES baby chicks. I do have a question - is it better for me to leave the light off (it's a very dark room), or keep one on while they are hatching? Thanks!

6. FrankieMcElfresh

FrankieMcElfresh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    Congrats [​IMG] Im starting my incubating today, wish me luck!

7. BusyBlonde

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Good luck, Frankie! It is so rewarding ... and addicting!

8. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    Quote:No, I'm hatching Barred Rocks from my flock. This is my first hatch, and I'm totally thrilled that it's going so well so far. I've gotten so much good advice from BYC!

I know i love this site! a family memeber gave me my incubator and told me his "directions" well didnt work out too well my first hatch i only got 1 chick my silkie names lucky!! im surprised i didnt kill him 2 i have learned so much its awesome i am on my second hatch right now and have 5 chicks so far [​IMG] [​IMG]!!

9. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Quote:PICS!!!!
    ps: 200th post!!! milestone!!

10. BusyBlonde

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC

I know i love this site! a family memeber gave me my incubator and told me his "directions" well didnt work out too well my first hatch i only got 1 chick my silkie names lucky!! im surprised i didnt kill him 2 i have learned so much its awesome i am on my second hatch right now and have 5 chicks so far [​IMG] [​IMG]!!

Congratulations on 5 chicks out so far! How many are in your incubator, and what are you hatching?

I have 3 hatched so far! Is it bad that I'm looking at buying hatching eggs for different breeds now? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by