First one just hatched!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skymonkey, Nov 23, 2010.

1. skymonkey

skymonkey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    This is our first ever hatch and the first one just entered the world. He is still wet and making the other eggs roll around. Do I need to get him out or leave him there till he dries?

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Leave him in there. You don't want to open the bator. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. skymonkey

Nov 2, 2010
    Thanks!

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    How many eggs do you have in there and what kind? I wanted to say more before but I was on the phone.

5. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Leave it in! The new chicks will be fine in there up to 72 hours. I try to leave mine in that long after first pip if I have some stragglers. Most of the time mine are done in 48 hours.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  6. skymonkey

Nov 2, 2010
    I got 40 eggs in there. We have 11 Pearl white Leghorn hens, 10 red star hens and 32 Buff Orpington hens. 1 Pearl white rooster and 2 buff orpington roosters so the eggs are all mixed up, but these hatchlings are all meat birds unless we get some full stock Pearl whites and we will keep those for layers. We got 3 roaming inside the bator ATM and almost all the eggs have holes knocked thru. They weren't supposed to hatch till Thanksgiving day so we could all be here but oh well.

7. skymonkey

Nov 2, 2010
    So far we have had 23/40 hatch in good shape. #24 just hatched with his guts outside his body. I know he will die and I feel sorry for the lil guy but not much I can do.

8. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Congrats and sorry to hear at the same time. Are you sure its not the yolk sac instead of guts?

9. skymonkey

Nov 2, 2010
    Yep I think your right about the yolk sac. He is still dragging it around and he is getting more and more stable at standing up. I dunno if he is gonna make it or not. I will give him a lil more time in the incubator and get him out to some food and water. Anyone got any ideas what to do to help him? I'm afraid it might kill him if I cut it off, or cause a bad infection if I leave it hanging like that.

10. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Congrats on your new babies. You should get some good egg layers from those mixes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by