First Outing! Lots of pics!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FabulousMandy, Apr 27, 2009.

1. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Saturday afternoon was a perfect, balmy 88 degrees + humidity here in good ole New Orleans, so I decided to take my 3 week old babies out exploring [​IMG]. They had so much fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My ole ladies sizing up the competition [​IMG]:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Those pictures are beautiful! I wonder, did your chickies give you much of a run for your money when gathering them back up? I wanted to let my 5 week olds stretch their legs but I'm afraid they'll run in opposite directions and I'll not be able to catch them before they get hurt.

3. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I was afraid they'd scatter in all directions too, but they only gave slight protest to being returned to the box I carried them in and didn't try to run. I think they were more concerned about keeping their little flock together than they were about The Hand picking them up again lol.

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    They are adorable! esp that little pouf-headed one!

5. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    Quote:I was worried about that too! Especially since I have cats.

I made a little temporary pen for my chicks.
    [​IMG]

6. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Thanks again for your post! I'm giving you the kudos for making me brave enough to let my babies out and stretch their wings. They didn't run off on me - thank goodness, and just like you said they seemed to want to stick together.

What cracked me up was all the hopping they did - one would hop and flap it's new wings and the others would start as well - it was hilarious! Lots of stretching of the wings and their necks - they'd think they heard something and one would stretch it's neck up as high as it would go to see if there was anything coming for them.

They sure were mad at me when it was time to put them back "home". They got to peeping so loud it sounded like they were going to go hoarse!

7. nikki24

nikki24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Indiana
    I had mine out this weekend while we were building the coop and boy was that fun!I had about 12 out at a time and they pretty much stuck together.I have a little terrior that was very good with them.she stuck by them and kept and eye on them all.when they settle down under a lawn chair for a nap she went with the flow and napped in the grass next to them.The only hitch was when my m-i-l's huge dog came over and decided to pick one up and try to hand it to me! I thought my chickie and I both just about peed our selves!But luckily she was not hurt and they are now in there coop.Our cat is just not interested in them at all!I'm glad though.now my only problem is all the rain we are getting lastnight and today.wet run..oh I have 37 and they are 4 week old ISA browns!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by