First peacock What breed is this?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Texasbirdlady, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Texasbirdlady

Texasbirdlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2016
    Hi everyone this is my first peacock the kids named him Mr.Peabody. Can anyone please tell me what breed he is? Also any and all advice and tips are greatly appreciated! Thank you! [​IMG]

2. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    Juvenile dark pied rooster. Scientific name: Pavo cristatus or indian blue peacock that is carrying the white gene. You may never know the complete color genes it may carry unless you know its tree but, judging from the pics it is indeed a dark pied and very pretty. Your kids have a pet for life welcome to the forum you came to the right place for education. Please keep us posted. Gerald Barker

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Read all the posts on the peafowl here and you can learn a lot! There is a lot of education in these great discussions.

5. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    Dark pied ???? ( dark pied = white wings coverlets primaries feathers ).
    On his back the white color is a smudge or a white feather ?
    For me it's not a feather ..... so this young peacock is a pur blue peacock .... not a split of white color or pied pattern ( don't carry geneticly white or pied pattern ).

6. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    I am probably wrong just an opinion stated prior, its always hard to see in pics but, i do see a noticiable wing finger feather that is white but the most telling for me is the large white pattern under the beak. Just my opinion more pics of the wings open would settle it. Pure blue indians are harder to find than pure greens sometimes. But im betting ur bird is a dark pied. Just trying to help.

Gerald Barker

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by