1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

First Peep, with luck some will hatch. **One very cute chick so far**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Xanthro, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Xanthro

Xanthro In the Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    I got really unlucky on the eggs shipping, the temp spiked up HUGE between ordering and receiving the eggs. 3 went obviously bad during incubation, and the eggs are so dark than candling simply did not work on most of them. Those that I could candle, did not show any positive signs of development.

Today is day 21, and one of the eggs has a peep, and I can hear a chick as well, so maybe I'll get some new fuzz butts.

I was really afraid that all the eggs started during shipment because of the heat, and then died during the settling period.

Wish me luck.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010

2. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Congrats!!![​IMG]

3. Xanthro

Xanthro In the Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    The one peeping this morning has hatched and looks very strong. Now, how long should I wait to remove the little tyke from the bator?

There are 32 other eggs remaining.

4. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Yay, congrats! I have some movement on mine now too. Tomorrow is the 21st day and I will be watching them like a hawk. I have my eggs sitting under my broody. Hopefully, she will know what to do and not crush them.

As far as when to take your chick out of the bator, I have read that some people wait 72 hours to take them out as they can survive without food or water for that long. This way it gives the rest of the eggs time to hatch without possibly hurting the rest of the hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by