First pics of my little "flock"!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gcbsmommy, Feb 13, 2013.

1. gcbsmommy

gcbsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    O.K. I think I have finally loaded the photos correctly. Sorry they are not of excellent quality - my camera phone is adequate but nothing fancy...and I don't have any mad (photography) skills...

We were expecting the chicks on the 5th...got a call the night of the 2nd to say they were at the post office...and raced to get them (it was a cold night). When we got hom, we had to move the biddie cage, set it up, etc... Big ordeal! But worth it!

Here is a photo of my youngest with some of the chicks on night 1, followed by a pic on day 5 and day 12. Hope you enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    They all look really nice! Very healthy and happy! Where did you order from? I am a newbie: what breed are they?

3. gcbsmommy

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    Hello, fellow Central Floridian!

Thanks for your comments! The chicks are almost 5 weeks old now and in our backyard coop. All 27 are doing well - we have 16 Buff Orpingtons, 10 Easter Eggers, and 1 Polish. We thought until yesterday that the Polish was a wierd Easter Egger, because at first she looked identical to the others, and that our "white" chick (which is also an Easter Egger) was our bonus/rare bird that Murray McMurray throws in with their orders... but friends came over yesterday as made us realize our BIG mistake! It's funny now, but I feel like a goof! The Polish has a big crest of black feathers on her head - DUH! :)

As mentioned, we ordered from Murray McMurray. They shipped on a Saturday morning, and that night, the post office next to Tampa Int. Airport called to tell us they were there! We were very pleased and grateful that we could collect them so quickly!

We also added two Rhode Island Red chicks to our menagerie yesterday. They are only 7 days old so we will be juggling them for the next several weeks apart from the "flock" until they are big enough and we can sneak them in the coop at night. Hopefully, the other girls will accept them! My daughter and I are going to Tractor Supply today to look for a couple more to keep the RIR's company - hopefully barred rocks or black austrolorps or black stars... My chicken math is getting us in trouble! :)

Hope you have fun with your chicks! :)

4. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Oh, I love my three girls and drool over easter eggers, but I just do not have room for more. I also can't use all the eggs I get from my golden comets...maybe next time around I'll go for the easter eggers...

5. gcbsmommy

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    Comets are supposed to be super layers - that seems to be true for you!? We had friends with chickens and they would give us their eggs on occassion. When I saw green eggs in the basket, I knew I would have to have the chickens who laid them one day! :) My youngest bought a lack australorp and plymoth barred rock yesterday. Between all the chickens, the goats, and the dogs, my son has declared that he lives in a petting zoo! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by