1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Pip - My "out of no where... chicks"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Newchickmama, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Newchickmama

Newchickmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2008
    North Carolina
    Well to make a long story short. We got our flock this summer... started out all young. My husband and I bought all of our pullets from one farm store... everything worked out. We went and got 3 from another store, and they knew nothing. We still bought 3 anyways. A few months later... we end up with a Buff Brahma Cockeral... dangitt!

Anywho, Opal, our BO was missing around christmas. We looked and looked, then one day she came out. I found her, put her back in the coop. She escaped that night. We found her under her coop with 14 eggs underneath her on Xmas. We got the bator out, gave her food, water, and returned her back to her coop for warmth. She escaped AGAIN. This time laying 3 more eggs in just hours!! So we get them all in the bator.. she's been looking better ever since.

Tonight was the first pip. My husband has been killing me with anticipation... always tricking me to look.

This is our first time hatching ever. I am soooo nerous and excited!!

I will be posting pictures probably throughout the night. I will be sleeping on the floor next to the bator. [​IMG]

2. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    That's so exciting!!!! I'll be here waiting for the pictures! [​IMG]

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Oh boy! Can I relate!? You are at the most difficult stage...waiting! Ugh! Yes, pictures are definitely in order!! Guess I'll have to stay up all night waiting for updates - NOT! [​IMG] But I will be back in the morning with great anticipation. Try to get a FEW winks and remember...no touchy the bator, young lady!

4. Newchickmama

Jun 21, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

10:22PM

EEEEEEEEEEK!!!!

COME ON BABY!

5. Newchickmama

Jun 21, 2008
    North Carolina
    Wow 11:55 and one is out!!!

[​IMG]

6. Katie Jo

Katie Jo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    Oh, what a cutie! Congrats!!![​IMG]

7. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    WooHoo!!! [​IMG]
    Wonder whose side of the family it's gonna take after.... [​IMG]

8. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    [​IMG] Yaaaaayyyyy!! More! More!

9. Newchickmama

Jun 21, 2008
    North Carolina
    This morning after the chick had dried we can see feathers on the feet.!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That should be a beautiful mix. Buff Brahma X Buff Orp. Can't wait to see how they turn out...you'll have to take pics of them every few weeks for the next couple of months for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by