First Pip! What's next and help me fix my goof.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chew593, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

My broody Australorp is sitting on 4 eggs and the first one has pipped and I'm so excited!!! Now here's the issue... Day 1: I put 12 eggs under her and we left for a 3 day weekend. Well, she got nest confused and I came home to cold eggs. HUbby said just leave them and see what happens. That same day my favorite EE hen was in her nest box and so I reached under her... No egg... as I was pulling my hand out she laid her egg right in my palm! It was the weirdest thing. So I put it under my broody. I don't have an incubator. We waited a week and candled and 4 had definate signs of life Including the one that's three days behind, and after further research I see she'll probably abandon any eggs that don't hatch in the next day or 2? What can I do if that happens?
    ETA: This is my second hatch so I'm still pretty new to hatching babies. Have mercy on me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

She may or may not stay on the nest until the last egg hatches. Some of my broodies will wait until the very last egg hatches or I pull it, and some jump off as soon as they have two chicks hatch. [​IMG]

Do you have an incubator just in case? If not, this might be a great reason to get one. [​IMG]

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Sounds like you need to get an incubator right now; the LG needs a few days to really set up; perhaps one of the others that just need to be plugged in. Go for the latter if you can. Or perhaps a quick homemade one: a box, heating source, moisture and ventilation are the basics. Try Miss prissy's pages, I think she has easy diagrams.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by