First pip!

aurinia

Chirping
Apr 25, 2015
Upstate NY
Woke up this morning to our first pip...but it's a full day early! How much do I need to worry? This is my first ever hatch so I'm a nervous wreck anyway. Lol. These are eggs from my own birds...set 37,had one with a crack that started to stink on day 10. On day 14 tossed out the clears and 3 with blood rings and have 26 left that went into lockdown on Friday. I also marked the air cells in day 18. I'm using a Farm Innovators 4200, circulated air and an egg turner. Temps have been pretty stable at 99.5-100.5. Gave dry incubation a try; kept it at 30-40% and on Friday raised it to between 65-70%. When I got up this morning humidity was up to 75%,temp at 100 (and this is with one of the vent plugs out). Should I try and lower the humidity at all? Maybe take out the second vent plug? And is the chick pipping in the right spot? Sorry about the cord...I'd taped a digital terrarium thermometer/hygrometer to the lid so I didn't have to rely on the crappy built in one and it must have fallen last night, too. Didn't want to open the bator after I saw the pip.

Congrats.

Leave your humidity up. It will be fine.

Personally I have removed my plugs and don't use them even while incubating.

I want good ventilation and chicks need good air exchange while hatching. I would take the other plug out but that's me.

Your pip looks to be in a good position.

Now comes the hard part.

Setting back relaxing while the eggs take their sweet time hatching.

Went to the store...I was gone less than an hour and this is what I came home to!

There's one more that's pipped and a lot of rocking from some of the others. This is so awesome! :-D

Back
Top Bottom