First pip!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickjhf, Dec 27, 2011.

1. chickjhf

chickjhf New Egg

Jun 17, 2008
    Putney, Vermont
    Only two eggs, one just pipped! Here it is 9:30 at night... should I go to bed or stay up? How quick can they hatch? They won't make it out during the night, will they?

Oh I am so excited! The first hatch from my own dutch bantams. I got eggs from a breeder last summer and put them under my own hen, but only one hatched. Another pipped on the side and did not make it, the rest were not viable. I hate having so few, I am going to be a nervous nellie.

The pip is kind of on the side, but toward the wide end. How far up is it supposed to be? It is hard to find pics of pips.

2. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have had some go 24 hours after external pip before they hatch. [​IMG] Go to bed, and try to get some sleep, even though you won't. There were several nights when I first started hatching that I pretty much slept on the floor in front of the bator. [​IMG]
    It's so exciting

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Some chicks may take minutes to hatch and others hours. You just never know. I have had chicks pip and others that have not pipped have hatch out hours before the first pipped chick hatches.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree I fixed up a room I live in when my eggs start hatching.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. chickjhf

chickjhf New Egg

Jun 17, 2008
    Putney, Vermont
    Boy that little one really let out a hardy cheep a few mintutes ago! I love listening to the tapping...
    OK I am going to bed now so I can get up early!
    [​IMG]

6. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
  7. chickjhf

chickjhf New Egg

Jun 17, 2008
    Putney, Vermont
    One hatched between 5:30 and 7:30 this morning. Oh, cuteness! The other, no pip yet, and I was unsure anyway that that one had developed properly, we'll see.

Having them under momma, it is hard to get a good look! I just want to gaze at the chickie, but at least I can HEAR it [​IMG]

And my dog is wondering if someone got another squeaky toy for Christmas....

8. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by