First Pipper - Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by allanjensaft, Apr 24, 2019.

1. allanjensaft

allanjensaft In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2019
    Hi, I have some Copper Maran eggs that have been incubating for 22 days. Last night, the first bit of pipped shell broke away from the first to pip.

This morning, I could see the chick's beak pecking away to make the hole bigger - this has now stopped (see picture).

Is she having a nap, or is this bad news?

6752b203-37dd-4d43-aa76-55e60d84300d.jpg

2. Punkybrewster

Punkybrewster Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    Upstate sc
    My guess is its napping and working at absorbing the yolk. No worries

3. allanjensaft

Apr 24, 2019
    Thanks, let's keep everything crossed!

4. Punkybrewster

Punkybrewster Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    Upstate sc
    Best advice? Go for a long walk or shopping. Looking at the eggs will drive you nuts! Haha

5. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    Chicks will take a few long breaks during the hatching process. They will break after internally pipping. This allows them to practice breathing and to start absorbing the yolk. After about 24 hours, the oxygen will deplete and carbon dioxide will increase. The carbon dioxide buildup triggers the hatching muscle behind their neck which causes them to start pecking at the shell. Once they have pipped externally and now have more oxygen, they will take another long break. This break is a crutial one. This is the break the allows the yolk to finish absorbing and allows them to regain their strength. At this point you may see their beaks making and chewing motion. This means that they are still absorbing the yolk. Once they are done absorbing the yolk, they will begin to unzip the egg. This is a process that make take hours or even minutes. Once unzipped, they will take another small break before finally kicking their way out. It could very well take 24 hours or longer once they have externally pipped. Just be sure to monitor the chick and make sure that the membrane is not dried out. You don't want the membrane to turn brown and brittle. Your egg looks fine at the moment as long as you are still seeing movement.

6. allanjensaft

Apr 24, 2019
    Thank you, latest pic uploaded - she seems to be doing OK but it's taking a while!

20190425.jpg

CityslickerHomestead likes this.
  7. allanjensaft

Apr 24, 2019
    I could have had a LONG walk - she is still unzipping

8. allanjensaft

Apr 24, 2019
    UPDATE - she's doing well! On her own, the other eggs haven't hatched...

Picking up some day-old chicks tomorrow to keep her company in the brooder :)

9. WickedChicksNH

WickedChicksNH Songster

Oct 2, 2017
    New Hampshire
    I tell you waiting after that first pip is grueling. After my first time I incubated I learned if you hear them peeping now and then while after they pipped they are doing well and staring at them like I did doesn't make them hatch quicker rofl.

Congrats on the almost new chickie

10. allanjensaft

Apr 24, 2019
    Update - the chick didn't make it, she was too weak. Sad times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: