First Possom Kill

Rammy

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Tennessee
I have seen a Oppossum around here off and one for weeks. I didnt know until tonight that I had THREE living in my barn. Now there are only two as one went to Possum heaven tonight. One ran up into my loft so I will have to continue to try to trap them and send them to meet thier freind. Problem is everything I use in the trap is not working. I tried sardines, cat food, fish, eggs, marshmellows. These things wont go into the trap. I saw one under the stairs landing and put the trap up against it and blocked off< or so I thought> any escape route. Little rodents found a way around it and was eating my barn cats food!!

I had a neighor come over and shoot the first possum. We couldnt find the other ones. Can anyone suggest a idea on how to catch the other two?

Rammy

Quote:
I was thinking the dead possum, if it fits. DH said tunafish can with holes poked in it with an axe so they have to work at it, then sit & wait or have a trap set. My neighbor figured out what time the rats came out to eat and got em all one after another at 7PM (not sure what season)

I put tuna fish out there but with the can totally open. Didnt think about poking holes. I'll probably have barn cats in the trap tonight. I'll do the holes next time. Dead possum was HUGE male. Thanks for the idea.

Rammy

I used canned sardines and got another one. Thats two down and one to go.

Rammy

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres possums everywhere at my house, dont kill em much though.

Bout everytime I go outside of a night there is a possum in my yard so I bring a flash light and chase em or climb a tree if I halfto.
Waitin to catch a large male possum so I can have a good stew. They got some awesome skulls too.

But either hotdogs or sliced ham is the best bait. Dont see how anything could like them stinkin sardines.

I wish I could kil my possums
sad.png
Unfortunately in Australia that's illegal so I trap them and release then 6 suburbs away in a National park
tongue.png

I do take up the cat food at night. I think thats why I caught it the last time since the sardines were the only thing in there to eat. I got the big male the first night, I think the baby or mother last night. One more to go. They are ruining my hay in the loft by pooping on it and I dont want them near my chickens. I guess I'll have to keep the traps baited from now on.

Rammy

I saw one in front of my coop the other night and I ran over him with a four wheeler, but I like the leg hold traps baited with a dead tweety bird. This will work great for coons or possums.

Back
Top Bottom