First post after years of lurking - What breed is this?

4paws

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 17, 2010
Hi,
This is my very first post, though I joined years ago and have quietly lurked.

I am new to chickens, less than a year now, but I dove in head first, and have learned a lot, especially from mistakes, and I really, really enjoy having them. My intent is to have only layers, but had also wanted to see if I could raise my own broilers, at least once, and in preparation, attended several area workshops to learn how to butcher. Turns out I just can't manage the killing part, so my first effort will likely be my last, and of 14 birds that were to be harvested, 6 came home. That's because they were too small at 12 weeks, and not the breed I thought I was buying from a local farmer. He said they were Freedom Rangers, so when I got them and they were black, white, and a combo of the two, I was surprised. However, being an overly-excited newbie, and not confident in my knowledge (from reading, not experience), I trusted his word.

So, now I'm trying to figure out what breed the 6 remaining pullets might be, so here are the white ones.There are three black birds, too, but those I think are Black Australorps. What do you think these 16 week pullets are?

Thank you in advance.

PS Please ignore the vinyl fence. I'd just open one of my raised beds to them and they gave me no chance to get it out of the way and it was a good picture moment. It's not easy to take good chicken pics!

The mostly white ones are Light Sussex. The one with penciling all over is a mixed breed. Sussex are a good dual-purpose bird, but they are definitely not the same as Rangers or Cornish Cross. They are slower to grow and reach harvest size by about 14 to 16 weeks, and they won't look like the birds that you get at the grocery store with huge meaty chests.

Welcome to BYC i think that maybe the one w/ lacing around her neck is a delaware(single) or columbian wyandott(pea) it depends on the type of comb because I can't see their comb too well. (not an expert just a guess)

welcome-byc.gif

Your white birds with black collars and tails are Light Sussex hens. The pretty grey bird is a mixed breed, mixed enough no specific breed jumps out.

The mostly white ones are Light Sussex. The one with penciling all over is a mixed breed. Sussex are a good dual-purpose bird, but they are definitely not the same as Rangers or Cornish Cross. They are slower to grow and reach harvest size by about 14 to 16 weeks, and they won't look like the birds that you get at the grocery store with huge meaty chests.

X2 on junebuggena's post.

Last edited:
The ones that appear to be light sussex may in fact be mix breeds. The reason I say this is because I have bred a commercial dual purpose hen (RIR kinda in terms of colouration) with a white mutt roo and the results in some of the offspring look very much like light sussex. In the pic below you can see what i mean - and her sister is the brown one in the background.

Its very fair to say that somewhere along the genetics line a light sussex must have come into the equation i suppose. Gosh, if I was dishonest enough, i could become the only breeder of "light sussex" in Kenya
smile.png

CT

The ones that appear to be light sussex may in fact be mix breeds. The reason I say this is because I have bred a commercial dual purpose hen (RIR kinda in terms of colouration) with a white mutt roo and the results in some of the offspring look very much like light sussex. In the pic below you can see what i mean - and her sister is the brown one in the background.

Its very fair to say that somewhere along the genetics line a light sussex must have come into the equation i suppose. Gosh, if I was dishonest enough, i could become the only breeder of "light sussex" in Kenya
smile.png

CT
She's got yellow legs/skin, so she's not a Sussex.

She's got yellow legs/skin, so she's not a Sussex.

Sure, i know she's not a sussex - as i said, i bred her from a commercial dual purpose and a mutt roo! I was merely pointing out that the similarities, thats all.

CT

Back
Top Bottom