First post.......first chickens...first problem???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missmedic2, Jan 10, 2011.

1. missmedic2

missmedic2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Melbourne, Fl
    Hey guys,

I am new here but have been lurking for a bit.

I recently bought a 2 month old Self Blue Old English Bantam pullet. Her name is Nutmeg. I also have a Serama bantam pullet about the same age. They are both from the same breeder and were in the same pen when i bought them.

The Old English has a growth near her eye on her actual rim.. Not sure what it is. We got her Dec 30. When i look at the bring home day photos I see a small, very small bump where this is now. Any ideas or advice?? What to do??

Thank you!! Estelle

Can post post a photo.........?? because i am new..i can email it if anyone wants to look.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG].....now saying that I have to say I haven't a clue but hang on a bit and hopefully someone who does know will be here to help you.

3. missmedic2

Jan 10, 2011
    Melbourne, Fl
    Got the photo leaded up on my BYC page. I can emaila larger version of you want to see.

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  4. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    Hey MissMedic...I don't have any experience with this, but hope I can bump this up to the top so someone who knows will see it. Kind of looks like the equivalent to a human stye...curious to hear what others say. If it were me I would put a warm sea salt compress on it to see if it would help diminish it.

Hope someone with experience can give you some good advice.
    blessings!

5. missmedic2

Jan 10, 2011
    Melbourne, Fl
    I think a stye would be more full.this is not really looking like it wants to pop or drain........but who knows..........Thanks for the advice!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    it's a growth of some kind for sure, is it in your means to take her to the vet? does she act like it is bothering her does she have other symptoms?

7. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Id call it a papilloma if I had to take a guess..my dog used to get them. Not a biggie but unsightly and probably irritating to the host. This is my GUESS mind you, dont know for sure

8. missmedic2

Jan 10, 2011
    Melbourne, Fl
    no, no other symptoms. I noticed she had it when i got her but it was very small. Her coop mate had a sneeze last week and i put them on antibiotics for 5 days. Put both on since they are in the same coop and unable to separate them same coop. She does have a bit of a loose stool but could be from meds. A friend is a vet and she said it could be caused by a virus so maybe she had a virus. The vet did not see her just educated guess. She (the vet) also suggested calling the breeder and asking if he has been dealing with this with some of his other birds!!

9. missmedic2

Jan 10, 2011
    Melbourne, Fl
    Quote:What did you do for them??? Did they go away with your dog??

So my chicken has VD??? OH BOY!!! lol

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I've heard of that but I would have never thought of it, well at least it's not cancer, but that does sound logical have to go look it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by