1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First post, green here, saying hi from Pasco County, FL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nightmarepatrol, Apr 4, 2015.

1. nightmarepatrol

nightmarepatrol New Egg

Apr 4, 2015
    Just saying hi. We've been tinkering around with the idea of chickens for a while and I guess the time is now to get going. I'm pretty familiar with chickens, but the requirements for keeping them in my home state of Pennsylvania is not the same as it is here in Florida. The list and number of predators around is completely different, though I imagine racoons are at the top of the list. Free range isn't much of a possibility where I live.

Anyhow, I'm going to cruise around, see if I can find some active locals and see what they have to offer.

So "Hi everyone"

- NP -

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Make sure you use hardward cloth instead of chicken wire on your coop/run as too many predators (including raccoons) can tear through chicken wire, or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Also, be sure and either padlock your coop door or else use a double action latch on it as raccoons can quickly figure out how to open a single action latch. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

1 person likes this.
  3. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!

4. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome !! :D

5. nightmarepatrol

nightmarepatrol New Egg

Apr 4, 2015
    Thanks for the welcome!

6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Welcome to BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock - 1/2" hardware cloth is a major step is keeping out predators. Having a top on the run is another one.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens