1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First post

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mag8204, Sep 24, 2012.

1. mag8204

mag8204 New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    We have had Chickens since the 1st of may. We have 22 Hens, 2 Roosters and 2 regular? Guinea and 5 lavender guinea. They all grew up together some are 5 to 6 weeks older, but they live in the same Coop. It is 17x14 and we have about 14 laying boxes, although they seem to use the same 3 all the time. I was wondering when it would be ok to let them run around the yard, we live in the country and our nearest neighbor is across a ten acre field. There is a cattle fence next to the coop but it is only 4 ft high and we have not clipped there wings, so they could easily fly over it. Also how do you get them to go back in the coop at night. There are plenty of Owls, Bobcats and Coyote's in the area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MadChicken98

MadChicken98 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2012
    Some people can teach their chickens to come with various snack and sometimes with just their feed. My chickens just get let out during the day but always come back to their cop at night. they don't like the dark and cold and they know thats where their home is and thats where they are fed. I've heard that chickens (animals in general) bond with you better if you feed them more personally I'm not suggesting you hand feed all your chickens thats crazy but just making sure they know you feed them might help. They will want the food and warmth. If you're very worried once it starts getting dark you could just start doing like 15 minute check ups on them to see where they are and then start to herd them towards the coop before dark of they don't move them selves.
    Another suggestion. Give them a really big fenced of place to be during the day and just leave their coop doors open and see if they would go in by themselves. As like a test run before letting them free range.

3. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    [​IMG] It should be fine to let them out now - they should know where home is after 4.5 months. You can always start by letting them out in the evening- maybe a hour or two before dark. That way they shouldn't wander too far and they should put themselves back in the coop near dark. I also like the idea MadChicken98 mentioned - if you can, provide a fenced area for them to wander around in during the day, at least for a while until you feel more confident that they will return to the coop at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by