First post!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amandarenee, Mar 7, 2015.

1. amandarenee

amandarenee Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2015
    Mesa, Arizona
    Well hey!

I'm Amanda, and I've been stalking about this forum, gleaning fowl information, for a few months now, and have finally actually made a profile. :) I live in Mesa, Arizona, and purchased my first house last spring. I have what is considered a huge plot of land for cityfolk here, 1/3 acre, and have been scheming to get a chicken coop for months now. All of the research I have done both here and on other websites has made me realize that I would be better suited to starting with quail, and am in the process of building them some hutches. My house was a fixer-upper, so I have a *lot* of experience with tools and DIY'ing, which is coming in handy for saving money on starting my flock!

I am also working on planting a wide array of fruit trees and bushes, and hope to be able to finally start a vegetable garden in the fall! My ultimate goal is to have myself a nice little homestead that provides at least half of my food during the growing seasons. :)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Amanda, congratulations on your new home, and welcome to BYC.

3. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Welcome aboard Amanda. It sounds like you are having lots of fun.

Having tools and tool skills is my favorite part- being able to figure out ways to (seemingly) make things work better and making my own things instead of buying them.

As for fruit trees, my advice is to buy from a commercial supplier. The stock is so much better and reliable.

I dont know much about quail.. But it sounds like you will be an expert soon. Good luck!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Amanda. Do you know the "Other Backyard Poultry" forum above also has thread concerning quail, guineas, ducks, etc. If you have any questions the quail folks should have the answers. Welcome to BYC

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Amanda. Glad you decided join to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your homestead.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC, Amanda! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Good luck with your new adventure.

10. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by