First predator attack - fisher cat, fox or raccoon?

HarperGirl

In the Brooder
May 11, 2020
Yesterday we were all home while our 8 young hens (11 weeks) were free ranging in our fenced in yard. They love to free range in the backyard during the day before we put them in the coop around 5pm. We have had no predator problems and they have been free range during the day since we put them outside 2 months ago. Sometime between 12-3pm yesterday while we were home they were attacked by what we strongly believe was a fisher cat. Our White Leghorn’s head was missing and it’s body was strangely buried under loose mulch on the other side of the fence in our next door neighbors yard (!) The Buff Orpington sadly suffered the same fate (head gone) but body intact and left on lawn. Two Rhode Island Reds were dead with no apparent wounds or blood and no missing feathers so we thought they
might have died from shock - is the possible? Other 4 hens escaped/hid and are fine (two Plymouth Rocks, another Buff Orpington, one Golden Comet). We are devastated. What would attack so viciously in the middle of the day? We are fairly convinced it was a fisher as we have them in the area and our neighbor heard one late in the night two nights ago. But we thought they were nocturnal and only attacked at night when our hens are secure in their coop. We are first time chicken owners and have been extremely careful and caring with our hens, and have had no signs of trouble with predators so this came as a shock. We live in New England and have fishers, raccoons and fox nearby as well. But because of the nature of the attack (heads missing, one buried) we believe it was most likely a fisher. We have secured the 4 remaining hens in a critter proof run during the day and secure them safely in the coop at night. No more free ranging form some time. Also thinking about installing motion lights, although this wouldn’t have helped as they were attacked in broad daylight. We do not have a dog and do not wish to get a rooster. Asking if seasoned hen owners can speak to whether this was a fisher attack as well as other safeguards we can take (coyote urine, etc) Any suggestions much appreciated. Thank you!

UPDATE: A fox just sauntered into our backyard as we were sitting by our porch this evening. Obviously coming back for round two! So it was definitely a FOX not a fisher as we previously thought. Also possibly fits better with it burying the Leghorn.

Yes, Fox and Bobcat along with Hawks are daytime predators here in New England.
My first attack was November 2016 by a Coopers Hawk in the chicken pen. Leaves had fallen from the tree in their pen and left the 7 months old Golden Comets vulnerable.
I was home and heard the commotion and rushed out to see feathers everywhere and a Hawk in the tree. The chickens survived.

No more predator attacks till last April. Lost a Barred Rock to a Fox while free ranging around sunset. Chickens were heading to the coop, Fox went through the open gate to capture a hen.
I lost another hen an hour before sunset in June, 10 minutes after I let them out. I don't know if it was a Fox or Bobcat. No feathers found.
STC_0001-5.JPG
STC_0013 (1) (1) (1).JPG

A Rooster is no match for a Fox or Bobcat. I have seen Coyote on camera, I don't believe Coyote urine would deter other predators, maybe deer. GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom