First predator!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pamduff, Nov 8, 2011.

1. pamduff

pamduff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    [​IMG] Just happened to go outside to check on something tonight and found a possum in the chicken run...actually coming out of the coop! I left the coop door open to the run because it has been so nice and that way the girls can go out when they want in the morning...NEVER AGAIN! Two of my girls were in the far corner of the run and that is what made me look out there because I could here them talking... I shined the flash light out there and saw on the ramp coming out of the coop a possum. Scared the crap out of me! Ran back in the house to get my shoes on and grabbed my walking stick and ran out there. Opened the other end of the coop that opens into the yard hoping I could chase it out of the coop that way. I got a good look in the coop and saw my other girl Samantha on the highest roost in the coop. She has taken to sleeping in the nesting boxes lately so I was glad to see she was not in there now. The possum was on the ledge right under the boxes and I hit it with my stick and it hopped into the nesting box. I opened the top of the nesting box (outside the coop and saw the possum in the back part of the box which is blocked so the egg rolls down so the girls can't get it. So I blocked off the entrance into the coop of all the nesting boxes. We made pieces to put up to block them when we were concerned about her sleeping there. I closed the back end of the coop and opened the drop flap of the nesting box. It had no where to go but out! I chased it out of the yard and into the trees.

Whew...heart attack city. I guess I am lucky as predators go this one was pretty mild. The girls all seemed to be okay just shook up. I fixed, as best I could the area I think it came in at and left our spotlight on out there for tonight.

I know this is just a long ramble but I needed to get it out LOL. My boyfriend is out of town on business and I called him to let him know what happened. I told him the next predator was HIS!!!! LOL
    [​IMG] this is me now....all wired up LOL

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i'm glad you found it before any real damage. [​IMG]

3. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:Me to...I realize it was silly to leave the coop door open but we figured there was little chance of anything getting in and I became complacent....never again...I have never hit an animal in my life but man that possum felt my walking stick!

4. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Good for you!! [​IMG] However you really need to change your walking stick to a rifle and kill the possum next time you see it. Or set a trap, capture...and then kill the thing. It WILL come back and savagely maul/kill your chickens and it won't be a pretty sight! You were lucky to have run into it before the deed was done tonight...

Good luck.

5. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:I know that is necessary....will discuss it with my boyfriend when he gets home...not easy for me to kill anything but dang it I am not losing these chickens to anything!

6. Woodcox Acre

Woodcox Acre Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    A Mt. Valley in Utah
    I'm so glad you never lost any of your girls, that would have been terrible. Those girls were lucky tonight. [​IMG]
    Thats one of my biggest fears.

7. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:Thank you...I am new to all of this as well but have become very attached to them and we have 10 babies and they will be outside eventually and I will be very upset if something happens to them. I hope our luck continues!

8. littleflocker

littleflocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    I have a .22 with a laser beam sight for occasions like that one. Your local sporting outfitter can set you up hopefully your bf will help you to learn to shoot. Good luck! Glad your girls are okay

9. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Don't like oppossums, lost my only girl to a oppossum and had one other close call similar to you...back in the summer when it was so hot I left the pop door open, luckily hubby was getting ready for work and heard the commotion. No injuries...never again will I leave anything to chance and the girls are locked tight everynight.

10. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    It will be back! A pellet gun works good on them at close range. Head shots!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by