First pullet egg with no yolk.....normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4H kids and mom, Jul 13, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    We've had a few pullet eggs this past two weeks, but most ended up broken before I could really look at them. (Stupid goats :mad: ) Anywho, yesterday the kids managed to find a little tiny egg and run it into the house for me to see. I have to say that though I am happy, I am disappointed. [​IMG]

My layers have had free choice oyster shell, layer/grower pellets, fresh water...available to them in addition to being able to free range as they please all day. Why then, was this egg a no-yolker with no shell? It was just a thick membrane, with only egg white inside. [​IMG] Any clues? Should I mix the oyster shell IN the food? (Keeping in mind that my older layers share their coop with chicks that are 9 weeks old, and 5 weeks old.) Or is this a freak thing that will work itself out once they've done it a few times?

Oh, and I vent checked them all today and narrowed it down to 2 that may have laid the egg in question. All the pullets have moist vents, but many still have a narrow pelvic area, while 2 of them have a larger spacing between the pelvic bones, and the bones feel softer, or more pliable?

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

When my last group started laying I got one or two of those soft shelled ones. After that all the eggs were normal. Mine also free range and have all they need. I don't know why it happens.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Maybe it wasnt a pullet egg-do you have mature layers? Sometimes they pop out a "wind egg" with no yolk that is the same size as some tiny pullet eggs. Just happens occasionally, not a problem.

4. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    My oldest gals are 19 weeks old now. My how they grow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by