First Quail egg, at 6 weeks (Pics added 4/21)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, Apr 20, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Got my first egg from the Japanese Quail that hatched March 8. I didn't know they started that fast and how the heck those tiny birds lay an egg that big! I'll get a pic of it later.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

SIX weeks thats just crazy, who knew [​IMG] ..... will be watching for pic's

Edit due to the fact that I can not read & retain info 6 not 8....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2008
  3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:I had no idea that they started that young! Or that an egg that big could come out of a bird that small. Comparing the ration of the size of a chicken egg to the chicken, and the size of the quail egg to the quail, the egg is about 1/8 of the birds size.

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Here are the promised quail pics. The two funny looking things in the corner are the eggs..... hehehhe.
    [​IMG]
    Some of the quail
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I have some that are 10 days old, and i'm still impatient for them to start laying even though it will only be a month LOL What's creepy is you have yours in an identical cage to mine [​IMG]

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    They were sharing a cage with the baby chicks, but when we found the egg yesterday they graduated to their own cage with dirt and straw. They are some really happy birds lol,,,, taking dirt baths and running with straw.

7. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

So where did you get them from? Did you incubate? Enquiring minds want to know.....

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    We incubated them in class. I had bought some eggs from a lady in Wisconsin and she put some Jap quail eggs in for free. They were hatched on the 8th of March the day I left for Albuquerque.

9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Aw they're so cute. I [​IMG] my buttons. I put five eggs in the bator the other day, and I'm hoping for some tiny fuzzy quail butts soon!

10. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Awww,,, I want Button so bad but I've tried twice now with no luck. I think they just don't ship well at long distances.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by