first quail egg laid!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by stormseeker, Feb 10, 2014.

1. stormseeker

stormseeker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    new york city
    I bought my two pairs of coturnix on jan 20th from a local poultry shop to try my luck for breeding and raising. Got them in a med icrate 32x19x24 and been feeding them an unnamed layer pellet. The feed place didn't know how much protein it had so I said screw it lemme keep them as pets then. I have observed mating bunch of times. Been giving them 15 hours artificial light and viola one egg popped off and I didnt think they'd ever lay and I must now buy a bator asap as more eggs may come. How much time or chances do I have to save an egg til I get a bator say tomorrow? Thanks guys im excited that more happened than I anticipated :)

2. stormseeker

Jan 25, 2014
    new york city
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Red78

Red78 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Arlington, Texas
    My first batch of coturnix began hatching today. I read on a thread that as long as the temp was around 50 degrees you could keep them for a few days with out a problem. Being your first egg it may not be fertile though, regardless of the breeding. I have 3 hens laying and have at least 5 of 16 hatching. This is my first time hatching out eggs so it's a learning experience. All I know so far is what I've read on here.

4. stormseeker

Jan 25, 2014
    new york city
    Thanks for the insight, red. Now I must find a bator since ill expect more eggs. What's a decent priced bator for quails? What website ships them fast?again im new at this and this was more than I expected. Thanks for any info guys ! :)

5. Red78

Red78 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Arlington, Texas
    I got a little giant with the turner. It seems to be pretty good. I plan on getting the forced air fan for it. I think it will help keep the temperature in check. I went to a local pet store and got a hygrometer/thermometer combo. Got one digital and one analog figured it couldn't hurt to have two of them. They are in the reptile section. You can find the little giants at tractor supply.com or just Google little giants incubator. Mine was $80.00 probably a little more if you want the forced air combo kit.

6. Red78

Red78 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Arlington, Texas
    Just read a quail breeders site that says the eggs will keep for up to 10 days at 55 degrees and 70% humidity. It recommends putting them in your lettuce crisper and keep the temp at 55.

7. Pippy

Pippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    Yay, congrats! We got our first eggs today too, so exciting! I was stirring up their litter and found them buried, so not sure how long they'd been there. Then I went out to check on them again and found another one just laying there. After that I must have checked on them 10 times today.

8. Red78

Red78 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Arlington, Texas
    One of my quail has me concerned, it pipped 24 hours ago but hasn't started zippering yet. I raised my humidity up to 75% because it looks like it's drying out. Not sure if I'm doing it right. Read different things about helping, some say yes and some say don't do it.

9. Red78

Red78 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Arlington, Texas
    The three hens I have, laid 6 eggs in one day. They're laying machines, better than my wife's australorpes. On average I get 2 eggs from at least 1 hen twice a week. It's not unusual for them to bury them though, ours do it too.

10. Red78

Red78 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    Arlington, Texas
    Stormseeker- have you thought about switching your watering container to a rabbit bottle? It stays cleaner since they can't bathe in it and gives more room in the cage.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by