first quail egg

chickbird

Songster
May 4, 2009
i recently bought a start of quail, 40 --51/2 wks. old and 10 ....2 1/2 wks. old, they are now 3 wks and 6 wks. today i got my first little corturnix egg, laid in the dust box. i also moved the 2 groups together and having no problems. i have a second cage made and will separate out some male and females for breeders. i plan on a smaller version of the pen that is on the sight, that we all enjoy seeing, to put the breeders into. i have 40 corturnix eggs that should be hatching soon, hopefully. hope i can get those babies to eat as this is my first try with quail.

Quote:
Well, 6 week old coturnix are sexually mature birds. The less than 6 week old birds are getting there. I don't personally recommend mixing the 2 different age birds, but if that's what you have done, and all is well, then don't mix things up anymore.

Coturnix chicks are not the sharpest tool in the shed, but they can eat and drink on their own pretty much from their hatch. Just put the high protein GBS in the hot spot, and the water in the cooler part of the brooder. Sleeping on feed....fine, sleeping in the water fount....bad, VERY BAD!

Quote:
Well, 6 week old coturnix are sexually mature birds. The less than 6 week old birds are getting there. I don't personally recommend mixing the 2 different age birds, but if that's what you have done, and all is well, then don't mix things up anymore.

Coturnix chicks are not the sharpest tool in the shed, but they can eat and drink on their own pretty much from their hatch. Just put the high protein GBS in the hot spot, and the water in the cooler part of the brooder. Sleeping on feed....fine, sleeping in the water fount....bad, VERY BAD!

I HAD MOVED THE TWO AGE GROUPS TOGETHER BECAUSE OF INFO FROM THIS SITE, I THOUGHT IT SAID IT WAS OK TO DO SO. HOPE I HAVEN'T MADE A MESS OF THINGS. I DID NOT CONSIDER THE MALES MAY TRY TO BREED THE YOUNGER GROUP, DON'T KNOW WHY , IT JUST NEVER CROSSED MY MIND. I HAVE 50 BIRDS, 13 OF THESE ARE MALES THAT ARE NOW 6 WKS OLD. I WISH NOW I HAD WAITED UNTIL THE YOUNGER GROUP WAS 6 WKS. OLD. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Back
Top Bottom