First Quail Hatch Update

Discussion in 'Quail' started by deer4011, Feb 25, 2016.

1. deer4011

deer4011 New Egg

Jan 27, 2016
    So I started out with 50 Jumbo Coutrnix eggs off ebay and incubated them. After about 12 days I culled the number of eggs to about 25, picking out the bad eggs by candling. I expected about 20 eggs to hatch but only got 16. I know this isn't the best of numbers but about half of the eggs werent fertile and the other 9 just didnt hatch. The 16 birds that did hatch all came out healthy with the exception of one which i had to help out of the shell a bit (I know youre not supposed to do that but I did to give him a chance) but he/she is doing fine. They are about 2.5 or 3 weeks old now and starting to get big. I wondering when is the best time to move them into their coop? They habe most of their feather but still get sluggish when I do unplug their heat lamp. I have split them up from 16 in one box to 8 in 2 seperate boxes. I keep them inside and really arent too smelly or loud as I clean their brooder boxes about once a day. Im just curious when theyre good to move. I live in lubbock texas and right now the temps at night do get down into the 30-40s. Also Im curious to know that kind of coop is best an above ground or on the ground coop. I do have quite a few stray cats around where i live but I do also have a black lab that can keep them at bay. Though he is a hunting dog he really just likes to look at the quail and when i brought one out for him to see what he would do he was cautious of it. Just curious what yall think the best coop for my quail would be. Also I was wondering how to sex them too. Theyre couturnix and I know you need to keep at least one male per cage so...

2. cmobley

cmobley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    They should have a heat lamp until 4 weeks of age. Your supposed to gradually go from 94 degrees to lower and lower temps to ween them from heat lamp. At 4 weeks they can go in cage one male 6 females is what i keep. My cage is 6' long 3' wide 18" tall stands on 2' legs. I also sectioned off my cage into 3 chambers with a 4" hole in each wall and a door so i can move them from one space to another for cleaning or leave doors open for them to have full access to entire pen. I keep a heat lamp on them on cold nights im in south alabama. If you build your pen on legs put a plywood shelf under the pen makes clean up alot easier. I also put my birds outta the brooder at 3 weeks during warmer months theyll huddle up and be fine.

3. cmobley

cmobley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    The females have black spots on their chest. Males just a light rusty colored chest no spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by