1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Rabbit Butcher **Very Graphic**

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Jamie_Dog_Trainer, May 20, 2011.

1. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Here is the butchering process of my White Satin Buck. I chose to cull him from my breeding program due to his slow growth and small size. As you will see I used a .22, and shot him just under the occiputal point on the skull.

*the whimpering sounds you here in this video are of my friends baby, not the rabbit*
    Rabbit kill

I hung him and snipped around his legs with kitchen shears. I made the mistake of cutting the large tendon on the back of the thigh, that made skinning him harder as the meat wanted to tear away from the bone. I got better with the second rabbit. All in all it was quite easy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, I snipped around the genitals/anus area to leave it there. I then peeled the skin back. You can see where I cut the tendon on the hind legs here, notice how they are pulled back with the skin. Learn from my mistake.

[​IMG]

Then I turned the carcass so I could snip the head off. Getting the front legs out of the "sleeve" wasn't easy and I had to snip some connective tissue and pull them through. After that cutting the joint with the scissors was very easy.

I used a box cutter to cut the abdominal mucles to remove the organs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost done here, the only thing left to do is snip the hind legs off.

[​IMG]

Nice healthy organs. Even though my rabbits have access to exercise pens that are on the ground, I didn't see any signs of Coccidios in either of my rabbits. The liver is obviously normal with no bumps or lesions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the second rabbit I butchered today. She was a large NZ doe. About 5 pounds of meat or more!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. Josh45640

Josh45640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I told you you would do just fine.[​IMG]

Most of the time I dont use anything to cut around the ankles. Hold the foor in one hand and pinch the skin with the other. A good pull and the skin usually tears and pulles right down. THis way you dont have to worry about that tendon.

This thread is making me hungry though.[​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

I see that you "tenderloined" the back near hip. We cut it cross wise to make a "piece" before cutting the hip part of the meat for the other forth.

Looks delicious and its been years since I butchered rabbits with my father.

4. finallyME

finallyME New Egg

May 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

Here is a video I did a little bit ago with my rabbit butchering. I killed it by hitting it on the back of the head. I did the broom stick method and found it harder than just whacking it. My chickens are close to their time. My baby rabbits are also close to weening.

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Do you bleed rabbits out like you do chickens?

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:The majority of the bleeding happened right after the shot, the second time I noticed any really good amount of blood was when I cut the heads off--gravity had done a good job of pooling the blood in the head and neck. Next time I will probably cut the heads off first as someone else suggested. [​IMG]

7. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    Thanks for the video and pics! Tell us how dinner goes. [​IMG]

8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    How did you cook it? Got any good recipes?

Rufus

9. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Just curious...Why did you shoot him?

10. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Hi Rufus, I have some good sounding recipes online and in a rabbit forum I am on. I have not cooked either of the rabbits yet. I have such a busy weekend so I just put the small rabbit in a gallon Ziplock bag whole and the larger, cut-up one is also in my freezer in two gallon Ziplock bags. I will certainly post pics and recipes of how I cook both these rabbits. [​IMG]

Quote:That is the method I chose over hitting them in the head with something, or dislocation of the spine. Both of these more hands on methods made me cringe out of fear that I woudln't do it right the first time and the rabbits would have to suffer for my learning experience. I don't think that would have been fair, especially since, for me, a gun is a much more familiar way of dispatching an animal. As you saw in the video he was in a box--what you might not have seen was I had some fresh dandilions in the box to make sure he stayed still. To ensure he'd be interested in the fresh food I had only given him, and the other rabbit, water and a small handful of hay that morning. They both died cleanly and doing something they both loved--eating fresh dandilions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by