First Real Egg Breakfast

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by YardBirdCountry, Aug 3, 2013.

1. YardBirdCountry

YardBirdCountry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    My hens recently started laying last Sunday. Five eggs as of this Saturday morning. Of my five I assume only one or two started laying. The first three were small and very light brown. Egg #4 got a little darker and a little bigger, egg #5 is still bigger and significantly darker. Not sure which birds are laying what (or if its all the same bird). The egg on the top is a store bought large brown egg for comparison. Looking forward to more production as more birds mature.

[​IMG]

Breakfast. I used the four small light brown eggs. I rinsed the eggs lightly in warm water and brushed off visible impurities with a dish brush. The eggs are a bit more difficult than store eggs to get open. The shells are slightly harder and the membrane is tougher. The yolks are smaller and a darker orange. They do taste distinctively better than the eggs I buy (which are usually the most "foodie" type eggs you can get at the local Publix). You can make out the essence of the weeds and grasses they pick at in my backyard. They eat that as well as their "organic" commercial grain feed, oats, and whatever else they find in my backyard (bugs etc...).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Congratulations. [​IMG]

I've had hens for three years now and I STILL get excited to go out each evening and collect the eggs. And aren't they tasty? Say goodbye to store bought eggs.

3. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Sure looks tasty! Farm fresh eggs are sure the best! [​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Very nice! Aren't fresh eggs just the best!!! Enjoy chickening!!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    YUM!

6. DLV58

DLV58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Nebraska
    looks good

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013