First Real Snow Event in Five Years for Central Missouri

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Jan 11, 2019.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Chickens are not venturing out to feeding stations for feed today. I have about 50 birds in barn and they are milling about, but have yet to go to feeding station for feed. Tomorrow I am sure that will change. All sorts of changes are underway in terms of how their brains are operating.

2. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Sounds like mass mutiny to me, Jim. I'd be afraid, very afraid. Admit you're outnumbered 50/1.

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Watch out, if you choose to shovel a path to the feeder you may have a full on stampede on your hands!

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    All joking aside, I hope things are going smoothly and this weather event hasn't brought any crazy unexpected problems like down trees, or power outages, or anything else.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Tomorrow, the game pullets and hens will readily fly 100 feet over snow to feeding station. With a different setup of cover patches and food sources, much farther flights possible.

6. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I had a Cochin roo who tried to fly over a three-foot wide snow drift. He got stuck head first in the drift like a dud rocket with feathered tail fins.

Moral: leave the flying to the games who don't carry so much ballast.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I just checked fence. It is totally shorted out. Raccoons and Oppossums at least will likely be snoozing in dens. Fox or Coyote may also be out but dogs are enjoying snow. What about the owls? They got at least one egg in nest and a lot of their eats are now protected by 6" snow. If like Red-tailed Hawks, then owls have some voles and other goodies stashed around nest for female to eat.

townchicks, Aceoky and biophiliac like this.
  8. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    This not a typical heavy snow event. It is melting or compressing down becoming very dense. It is still coming down. Temperature is right about freezing. If it turns colder, is will be a barrel of laughs trying to walk on it. I will be crawling over a 100 yards to reach barn on Sunday I bet.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Lost power briefly as getting out of bed. Somebody took out a power pole. Driving to work is going to be real fun. Out door birds will not be fed on usual schedule and most will likely not even come down to eat. The will just sit on roost all fluffed up. It is not very cold. Snow predicted to come down for additional 6 hours. I may elevate feeders so birds can feed from roost. Water will not be an issue as the birds eat snow a lot. If the free-range birds get to bamboo patches, then they will consume ice on the plant materials they consume. Water source did not freeze and I bet it will get no action anyway. Birds on formulated feed only will be thirsty.

townchicks, Aceoky and biophiliac like this.
  10. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    This is Winter Storm Gia. Surprised how little others have reported issues to date. As a farmer, for me, it is going to be a major hassle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: