1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Ride and I Finished!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by justduckie, May 5, 2008.

1. justduckie

justduckie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    Yep, I did my first Limited Distance Endurance Ride on Saturday.

And I finished! The AERC's motto is, "To Finish is to WIN!"

I did 25 miles in 4 hours, 16 minutes. Not a screamin' fast time, but since it was my first, we weren't really sure how hard to push. But the horses finished with really good vet scores and the three of us that rode together survived, I figure it was a victory for everyone. Here is my official ride photo. My horse's name is Stormie. She's Arab/Paint and 9 years old.

[​IMG]

Here is my DIL on my gelding Jax. He is Arab/QH and we think around 20 years old. They did a great job too.

[​IMG]

We had such a good time and are looking forward to our next ride in June.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Congrat's and Way To Go!!! [​IMG]

You're horses are gorgeous!

Ride for me in June...Skip and I won't be able to have any horses until we move out to the family farm in Arkansas (whenever that happens).

I grew up around them and miss having them as a part of my life.

Dawn

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Way to go!! Arabs are good horses for endurance.
    How was your butt and thighs the next day? Lol.

4. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    We are from Auburnl, CA where they have the Tevis Cup, so we hear about endurance rides all the time. But not ever having any horses, I have no concept of how grueling it is. Congratulations on your ride!!

5. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] Congratulations! What a great accomplishment!

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Congrats! Esp on the good vet score - bravo for having a well conditioned horse!

7. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I've wanted to cross over and do some endurance riding. Its very popular around here. Foutain Arabians is just down the road and they have a good name in raising endurance Arabs. He is working with some Arab/TB crosses right now and thinks he has bred a champ, but I don't want to be that competitive, I just want tot ride.

We often do 25 miles in six hours, and thats riding through complicated terrain, so I think it would be fine to give endurance a try. We'll see!

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Nice job getting your horse in shape for such an event! It would take me months to recover from such a ride...[​IMG]

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Congrats! I've never done endurance riding, but I've pit crewed some. Better you than me. I am impressed... even "only" a 25 miler is a pretty significant ride [​IMG]

Pat

10. justduckie

justduckie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    Quote:LOL!!! Well.......Sunday, I was VERY stiff and sore. Monday, a bit better and Tuesday I was back to my middle age creeky knees and that's about it.

My DIL compared it to when we first started training and both of us ached after riding just a couple miles. So we felt pretty good about going as far as we did and only hurting for a couple of days.

Now we are getting ready for a ride on June 15,16. So this time we'll try two 25 milers in 2 days.

When we first started this winter, we both were "beginner" riders. Because Sarah is much younger than I am, she picked it up a bit faster and now rides very well. But I'm still an advanced beginner/intermediate rider. But some of the terrain we went over this past weekend would have freaked me out a couple of months ago. We had a couple of straight up and straight down sections of the trail. I know I would have gotten off and walked a couple of them a while ago.

Stormie and I are really becoming partners. I'm very concious of what she is doing and how she is feeling. And she really takes care of me. Sometimes she is a bit marish (think grump) but for the most part, she is such a good girl. Will she ever be a Tevis contender? I don't think so, but that's not why I'm doing this sport.

Because, really, to finish IS to win![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by