1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

first Rodeo w Incubator hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bedste, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I am going on Lockdown Saturday. I have a stryrofoam incubator with canals on the bottom for water. I have been keeping it at 99.5-100.5 and the humidity fluxuates between 33 and 55%... with 55% being the goal. I have to keep the canals filled to get the 55% humidity. How am I going to reach 75% during lockdown? Do I have to make room for a sponge too?

2. Pick-a-LilyFarm

Pick-a-LilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    New Boston, NH
    Sponges work well, and so do warm wet washcloths. Also, you can spritz the eggs with warm water just before lockdown.

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Sponges are the easiest, IMO. Oh, yeah, and don't open the 'bator!
    If you lift the lid... even the tiniest little bit... your humidity will fall. A lot.
    Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

4. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    ok.....so the rules change before hatch... it is ok to spray them with water and I can fold upa wet wash cloth in the corner of the incubator Right?

5. Paganbird

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I have never misted my eggs... so I can't vouch for that one.
    Sponges are porous = more surface space = higher humidity, but a folded washcloth will work if that's all you have. I bought a bag of cheap sponges at the discount store & cut them up into little squares. Then I stack them on a small plastic lid in the 'bator. I have even put them under the floor wire... just make sure you don't have anything under the bator that can be water damaged... it can leak through the ventilation holes. The add water through the vent plugs on top of the bator with a bulb syringe or a drinking straw.

6. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    OMG I can do that! Thanks!

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I lightly mist mine at lockdown. I also plug those annoying little vent holes in the bottom with clay so they don't leak, if I want a vent I'll do it through the top!

8. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    wonderful thanks so much... I can do this

9. Paganbird

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Quote:The styro 'bators - esp. the still air 'bators - use both top and bottom ventilation holes... that's why they're there. As the warm air rises, cool FRESH air is pulled in through the bottom holes.
    I wouldn't plug the bottom holes... your hatching chicks need fresh air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by