First roo to crow dominant? Update-caught in the act

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MariposaMama, Nov 20, 2008.

1. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    On my way out to let the chickens out of the coop this morning, I heard the first humorous attempts of one of my 9 week old roos trying to crow. I couldn't see which of the three it was, and I'm curious to know if it is more likely the dominant one of the three that was doing it or is it more a breed thing as to who crows early? I have a BA, a Buff Cochin, and a NHR. It looks like the BA will be the head roo, but I guess that could still change. It's going to drive me nuts until I see for myself who it was. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  2. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    I don't know that I can answer your question but I also have a BA and SL Cochins that are 16 weeks old now. The BA has been crowing for weeks now and is definitely the alpha so far. The cochins aren't even trying to crow, but I've heard that they are slower to mature than other breeds. I too am wondering if the dynamics will change when the cochins get older.

3. ROC4K

ROC4K Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Of my 3 roos the largest is a SLW(Paco) and is the least dominant. The BR(Boss) was the HRIC until a late night shake up in the cooplex with the BA roo(Blu-Berry) who is now apparently the big boss.

My dominant chicken is a BR hen that is just a little witch. Every time I reach in the cooplex to do something she runs over and gives me a shot. I push her back and that little feather duster charges right back at me.

I've only heard one attempt so far to crow..and it's been from my BA. I think the hens laughed at him or possibly he had some kibble stuck in the crop cuz it sounded....not like a rooster [​IMG]

Paco, Boss and Blu-Berry my three little Rooster Disciples. Who's going to be in charge....the saga will continue [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    the first of the Dutch banties to crow acted like the king for a while, but it became real obvious he was second banana pretty quick. He still does most of the crowing and running from the top roo who rarely crows.

5. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    Well, it took a week but I finally caught him in the act. It's the Buff Cochin practicing his crow. [​IMG] I kind of suspected it was him, but wanted proof. I saw him peck down the NHR the other day, so I guess he's not bottom of the ladder any more. I think the BA is still top roo, but no crowing from him or the NHR yet. They're only 10 weeks old, so no hurry. I think it's going to get pretty loud around here when they all three get going (four if my one Blue Cochins is a roo, too [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by