First rooster... Aggressive or normal behavior?

Made-In-TX

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 29, 2012
Conroe, TX
Hey all, I just started my flock and yesterday evening I picked up my first rooster, a beautiful 9 week old Black Australorp. When we got him home I took him out to the coop with 4 other pullets that are all around 7-10 weeks old or so and at first, he kind of freaked out when I brought him out. I squatted down by him and put my hand out and he walked right in it and eventually climbed his way up to my shoulder and even fell asleep for a bit! Anyhow, he was extremely calm and sweet and after a while I put him back down and he was fine. He then went over to the pullets to check them out and pecked each of them on the head once and that was that, they all laid down and went to sleep for the night.

This morning I went out to sit with them for a couple hours, as I do everyday and he would chase the pullets around randomly and run them all off of food and water. He didn't do that every time so they still did get to eat and drink, but just not as much as they would have liked to.

Is this normal behavior and will go away soon enough or are these signs that I may have an aggressive rooster?

Thanks!!!

He is establishing the pecking order. He will let them eat and drink, just so that they know he is first and he rules the roost. They will respect him and eventually fall in line and follow him everywhere. I just went through this and everyone is fine.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking but I definitely appreciate the reassurance! I really didn't figure him to be aggressive because everything I've read on BA's is that they are so docile and sweet, even with other chickens.

Yes, I would say he is just trying to tell the girls that he is boss. It is very unlikely that he will be aggressive towards pullets.

Back
Top Bottom