First Rooster - Any Good Books Out There

LostEgg

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
Hi all, I recently learned that one of my pullets is a cockerel (an Australorp, by the way). I wasn't planning on having a rooster, but now I am kind of excited. I have been looking at as many chicken books as possible, but none have devoted any significant time to how to raise a roo. Anyone have any good book suggestions?

Thanks

nope, not a book.. just keep them in the pen with the pullets.. one's the same, just different.

you mean a cook book?
lol.png

We have 8 new "babies" and one turned out to be a rooster, and he's an Australorp, too. Small world. BTW, they are joking, but we are worried about him becoming aggressive, too. Currently, he seems pretty docile, but we just had to dispatch of our 1 1/2 year old EE rooster because he would attack my husband every chance he got. We tried everything to get him to stop, but nothing worked. We cut off his spurs, too. It's a shame, though. He would usually back down to me, but he seemed see my husband as a threat. Not sure how this Australorp will do. He's not afraid of us at all. He comes right up to us. Our EE rooster was at least scared of us, and would take off running if you tried to touch him. Anyway, good luck!!

Just this morning my husband and I heard a "Cockadoodle Doo" for the first time. We thought they were all pullets....oh well
smile.png
I guess my Barred Rock is a rooster. I wondering now if my Rhode Island Red is a rooster too? If I end up with more than one rooster, will that work to let them forge in the backyard or would it be better to make dinner out of one of them?????
big_smile.png
When do they start to show signs of aggression too? My flock is about four months old now. Thanks!!

Kind of depends on how many hens and space you have. One roo to about 10 or so hens is a good ratio without the hens being overbred by the roo. I have roos that get along great in the same pen and others who have to be by themselves with their own group of hens. The more space they all have the less likely that there will be problems between them.

Back
Top Bottom