first sand paper egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tav1, Jan 15, 2015.

1. tav1

tav1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    well that's what I'm calling it. since I got my 3 hens in late dec. they've been laying really good even thru the cold....2 to 3 eggs a day.
    went out this morning and found 2 eggs 1 was perfect and the other was a sand paper texture. I've seen threads on
    different formed eggs but what could the reason be for this? other cracking it open you think it's good? and I think she pecked at it ,there's a small spot on it that looks pecked at.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    We get eggs like this sometimes. It's just calcium deposits on the egg. It is absolutely fine to eat. Some of it, if not all, may wash off when you wash the egg, but if not, it's fine.

Do you feed your hens grit, oyster shell, or sand?

ETA: Or do you feed the egg shells back to them?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  3. tav1

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    Not sure how much grit or Oster shell to give them. I have 2 bowls out all the time along with the pellets for shell and grit....it that to much? I sprinkled some in there food so they get some while they eat.

4. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    You should be fine leaving the bowls of oyster and grit out - that's what we do and when they want it (or need it) they'll eat some. The egg should also be fine to eat. We had a "rubber" egg the other day and it fried up just fine (once I was able to tear the membrane) :)

5. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    They won't eat too much, so access to it 24/7 is fine. I don't give mine access to it all the time, because I have roosters that think they need to eat it all[​IMG]. So, it could just be a coating of the grit. The egg may have traveled so quickly through the oviduct that the egg did not get it's shine. Hope this helps.

6. tav1

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    I'm learning. .thanks

7. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    You're very welcome[​IMG] Believe me, I am still learning everyday. Who knew chickens were so complicated?!?!?[​IMG]

8. tav1

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    Well happened again with a rough egg shell....is from to much grit and shell?

9. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    No. I think your hen maybe just has a defective oviduct. This may be the type egg she always lays. There is nothing wrong with the egg, and if this is the case, nothing you can do about it. These eggs are not seen sold in stores because they don't make it past quality control. So, as long as you are not selling these eggs to the store, you should be just fine.[​IMG]

10. tav1

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    wow another bad egg....yesterday the egg looked fine except for that hollow part on the egg. it seemed to be very rough
    and when I just tapped it broke open and .....well there was the egg yolk. up until these 3 bad eggs they've been
    laying great eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by