First Sebastopol/Goose hatch! Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shellrae7, Mar 25, 2011.

1. shellrae7

shellrae7 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Hi There, I have 12 Sebastopol eggs (From my own backyard) And I am anxiously awaiting the first one to pip. It is day 28 and I have candled last night and saw internal pip, and expected to see at least a tiny extenal pip this morning, but nothing. So I shined the light again.
    Less movement, but still moving.

So my big question is: At what point would I do something if I don't want to let the goose die? How long can it have an internal pip and be ok before getting the oxygen from external pip?

I have the humidity at 80% at steady temp. My hatch dates are extremely staggered though as I had to throw out several eggs in the beginning and my geese were still laying so I kept adding more.

I have had several "late deaths" with chikens and I dont want to risk that with the geese.

Any advice please?

Thanks so much!

2. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    how do you know it internally pipped? I'm new to incubating lol

3. shellrae7

shellrae7 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Because when you candle the larger end of the egg (air sac) Normally there is a nicely defined line and the chick is developing below it. When they have pipped internally, there is usually beak movement beyond the line. At this point you can see their shape and movement quite well when candling. does that make sense?

4. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    yeah it does... Thanks [​IMG]

5. peeppeeppeep

peeppeeppeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    I haven't hatched geese yet but from doing a search on "internal pip goose" it looks like it can take up to a couple of days from internal pip to being out. You may want to search the old threads and see what you can find.

Hope s/he gets out okay! Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by