First Setting of the Year

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bo Garrett, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Bo Garrett

Bo Garrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Just candled the first setting of large mottled cochin eggs of the year and 33 of 34 are fertile! I thought it might take three settings to get all the chicks I would need but hopefully this setting will take care of my needs. I do have two other pens of mottleds to hatch chicks from as well but they have yet to start laying. Shooting for 60 large mottleds this year. One of the females producing these mottleds has been champion asiatic at five shows this past fall as well as champion large fowl three times, reserve large once, show champion once and reserve show champion once. Hope she passes her good traits on to the offspring.
    Hope everyone else has a good year hatching!

Blessings to all,

Bo

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Good luck!!

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Wow, that's great fertility! Good luck! Got pictures of your birds?

4. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Wooo Hoooo, great fertility! [​IMG] Clare

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  5. Bo Garrett

Feb 19, 2009
    Today is hatch day and there is lots of chirping coming from the hatcher. 32 of the 33 mottled cochin eggs made it to the hatcher and that was with the incubator being at 95 degrees for several hours before I could get it corrected. Hope these little guys turn out to be good enough to have a display at the Crossroads Show this fall.

Blessings,

Bo

6. geweldig23

geweldig23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2010
    Ohio
    Bo,
    May I ask how your brown red lf are looking? I would be extremely interested in purchasing some when you start this year if they are available.....

7. Bo Garrett

Feb 19, 2009
    The brown reds, browns, buffs and mottleds are projects and not quite ready for the show room or sale ring as of yet. The browns and brown reds are a bit of a quandry as they tend to hatch only females. I do have one cockerel that hatched in August but he is still young and it will be a while before he is ready to put with hens, he has six sisters!
    The brown red project is now in its eighth year with some bobcat and coyote set backs (of course they killed the males) and left me with only two females that are older and don't lay well. The brown project is in its fourth year with some sucess but I have hit a color road block that I am working through. The mottleds however may be on the fast track, I have 15 chicks in the bator right now and all appear to carry the mottling gene. If they look like their parents they will be big and round with good coloring, thus far I am happy with this project.

Blessings to you,

Bo

8. Bo Garrett

Feb 19, 2009
    23 mottled chicks total. The hens are laying well and all is well with the world.

Have a great hatching season!

Bo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by