First Show Tomorrow....Spur Help Needed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ang, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    My son is showing chickens for the first time tomorrow at the local FFA fair. We bathed everyone with no complications. That part actually went much better than I thought! He is showing an older Australorp rooster that has some really long spurs. I looked to see how to remove or shorten them. It seems that twisting them off is the easiest and less painful way to do this. I could not for the life of me get his spurs off in this manner! I tried using pliers and my bare hands. He pulled his foot away like it was painful. What am I doing wrong?

2. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Frankly I have absolutely no idea, but just wanted to give you a vote for mom of the year!

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Make sure you hold his leg FIRM around the spur so there is no pressure on his leg while twisting.

4. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Quote:Thanks....what'd I do? LOL!

Quote:I'll try that in the morning. Thanks!

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I know that your son is showing a Australorp but if your son ever show Old English or Sumatras do not remove the spurs it will be a DQ.

Chris

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I would NOT do that before a show. Once you get the hard outer shell off, it will leave a bleeding inner soft spur that will take a few days to dry up and fall off. Just trim the spur the best you can with clippers of some kind. I usually use dog nail clippers or hoof trimmers if really large. I would only cut off about a 1/2 inch at a time so that the quick receeds.

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:?? What falls off? I've done it this way several times & have never had it bleed. The under-spur is already semi-hardened when the outside spur is removed. The worst case of bleeding I've ever seen came from clipping the spurs on one of my roos.

8. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    The last time I did it with the twisting method and oil, the inner spur is soft and bleeds. Once it stops then I reintroduced the bird to the pen but it took several days for that soft spur to fall off. I still would not do it before a show. The birds do not to be under any extra stress prior to showing , they will already be stressed enough surrounded by other birds and strange people walking by them all day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by