First Show

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mrsizzy71, Aug 14, 2013.

1. mrsizzy71

mrsizzy71 New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Washington NC
    I'm looking for any info about getting your chickens ready for a chicken show? My son is going to put 3 of his chickens in the NC State Fair this year and we are both new at this, so any help would be appreciated!! [​IMG]

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Congrats on entering the show ring, it's a fun and exciting adventure that's sure to have you on your toes in anticipation!

This is an illustrated guide to washing your chickens for show that I wrote:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-prepare-a-chicken-for-showing

Have your son work on a little speaking presentation about each chicken he's showing. Know their breed, coloration, gender, comb type, comb and waddle color, eye color (usually "reddish-bay"), number of points on the comb for the breed standard of each breed, the diet and protein % in their feed, how their housed and if he's not too young the details of the american standard of pefection including the year that breed was admitted into the APA and the faults that each chicken doesn't have.

I wish you the best of luck for the both of you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by