first sick chick died- please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ccusker, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ccusker

ccusker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2010
    Hello. I have a 3 month old silkie chick that has been acting funny - not staying with flock..sitting still in grass "sleeping" in the middle of the day - doesn't notice you right up behind it. Has been moving around/eating/drinking fine - until last night. This chick and it's siblings are quite skittish, but last night we were able to scoop it right up. Noticed a little drool, but it had also just finished a snack. At bedtime, it was not in the coop with the others, but rather puffed up in the grass nearby. I brought it in the house and it's been ok, but not chirping anymore - just sitting there looking at me! Does this sound like something treatable? (Cocci?) Will the rest of my flock start getting sick? We have 16 chickens and 3 ducks - do I need to medicate everyone? ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

UPDATE: chick died. Do I medicate the rest of the flock to prevent this from happening again? What med should I use???

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I'm not sure what this could be, were his stools bloody? or any nasal discharge, sneezing etc? are any others showing any symptoms? Maybe the others will be able to help you better [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. ccusker

ccusker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2010
    The stools looked fine, no sneezing that I could see...I went to TSC to get meds...the only thing they had was dexamyacin? Does this sound right? I don't have any other stores nearby to get Corid. No other chicks/adults showing symptoms at this point.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by