1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Sign of Aggresion?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by montyhp, Feb 7, 2009.

1. montyhp

montyhp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    South Texas
    I have 10 pullets and 3 roos (warming chicks), just over 9 weeks old. The plan is to pick one roo to keep around. Today the flock was ranging and I walked over to see what they what they were up to. One of the roos came at me with his wing stretched out. he only took a few steps then he though better of it. I have to keep my eye on that one. He might be the first candidate for soup.

montyhp

So TX

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    He also might be the best candidate to protect the flock, LOL! [​IMG]

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I dont' think a roo's behavior fully develops until they're 4 to 5 months old. He's just a tiny guy at this point without the aggression a grown roo has the potential of. I wouldn't worry about him. Sometimes they dont' like your shoes if you wore something unusual or red-colored suddenly.
    My roos like to chase and peck the cat at that age (very mildly) but they're still mild, cuties.

4. montyhp

montyhp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    South Texas
    Just so happens the roos are BOs, just like the one in your avatar. I don't plan to do anything yet, not until I start having agression problems. I am a big believer in being observant with animals (I have 6 goats along with the 13 chickens). Every time I think there is some kind of problem, I just observe for a while and see how things progress.

Montyhp

So TX

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Being observant is a great way to take care of animals! Then you can easily tell if one is sick or if something is wrong.

By the way, my Buff Orpingtons, as a breed, have all been on the timid side, even the roosters. My Buff rooster George (killed by a fox in January, rest in peace) was a nice fella.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by