1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

First snake attack, lot a chick :o(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mandalina, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Mandalina

Mandalina Songster

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Not sure what kind it is, huge and black with a light under belly.it made rattling noises at me but had no rattles or fangs of any kind.
    [​IMG]

That is it without the head next to my DH's size 11/12 boot.
    The thing was huge.

RIP little RJ

2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'm so sorry. I think it's a black snake, pretty normal. They can rustle their tail in leaves to imitate a rattler (pretty neat if you never hear it in person)

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    We found one in our yard once that was over 5 foot 3 inches long (couldn't get him completely straight)! We're not 100% sure what he was but after looking at pictures decided he might be an eastern king snake. Took him waaaay back from the house to a creek. The sucker was back and up in my holly bush the very next day! We know it was the same snake because he had eaten something and had a bulge in his belly. We re-rehomed him again to another creek over a mile away...this time he stayed gone! We wanted to let him stay around but DH is deathly afraid of snakes...if he had come across this snake by suprise he would have had a heart attack! The one we found was a lot bigger around than the one you killed, too. Yours looks like what my grandmother used to call a coach whip (long and slender). Lots of snakes will shake their tails to warn you off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by