First Snow..a few questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Thomps Hens, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Thomps Hens

Thomps Hens Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    Ohio
    This is our first year having chickens and enjoy it so much and want to be sure we are doing everything right. Today was our first snow and we had an inch and a half. The girls have not came out of their coop yet and thinking they do not like the snow or is this normal during the colder months? We currently bed with Pine shavings at a depth of about 6 inches but it is looking dirty. For the deep litter method should I just turn the litter and add more shavings or completely clean and replace. Besides sand what is the best bedding for winter. I have read that straw is not the best bedding. We currently keep shavings in the nest boxes as well and also to not heat the coop. We are in Ohio so we get moderately cold winters

2. JPHJPH

JPHJPH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    NE Ohio
    I'm in Ohio too! So I'm interested in what people say. How old are your chickens? Mine are about 20 weeks and laying .... When I checked on them this morning at 7 they were all outside (5 chickens in total). I use about 4" of pine shavings and scoop the poop every other day..... They basically poop off the roost so it's mostly in one line. It's my first winter with chickens as well so I know only what I've read in books and on this forum.

3. Thomps Hens

May 29, 2013
    Ohio
    Our girls are almost 7 months old. I just looked and went out there to give them their daily treat and they still haven't came outside. Hence the term 'chicken'. lol

4. JPHJPH

JPHJPH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Did they see you? I'd entice them with a hand full of cracked corn

5. Thomps Hens

May 29, 2013
    Ohio
    Yep they are inside the coop and I went in and talked to them. i already put an ear of corn out this morning when I opened their coop door.

6. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I went through the same thing last year with my girls. They were truly "chicken" about the snow! What we did was lay down some straw on top the snow right outside the pop door. That got them out of the coop and up close to the snow. From there they could investigate and peck at it and - once they decided it was okay - they ventured out onto it.

No snow here yet - in Virginia - but we're getting a blast of colder air. We have 5 new chickens this year so can't wait to see what they think of snow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by