first snow is coming today. time to winterize!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, Dec 5, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    anybody else had snow yet? our first snow is coming today, around 4 inches i heard. the second i woke up (which i admit wasn't till 9) i had breakfast then suited up to go winterize. i was out there for over two hours gathering bags and bags of leaves because we don't think we can afford all the hay this winter. then i was inside the duck house cleaning buckets and walls and the ground. now, after a long 2 cold hours, its almost ready! i still have to go out and add a few touches, but i have to wait for my dad cuz i'll need some help. phew this winter stuff is hard! lol

2. LAMchop

LAMchop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    Its been snowing all day here, we have about 3 inches right now. Definitely time for me to winterize also!

First snow for my ducks! They are having a blast, making an awful mess... [​IMG]

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Glad I live in south Georgia, aint snowed here in 15 years or better..

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:if you want hay you should ask around to see if anyone has hay from last year still - we're buying some from last year, but to feed our horse and goat, its a little crummy on the outside of the bale but inside its good to eat still. (we are buying big round bales)

5. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:if you want hay you should ask around to see if anyone has hay from last year still - we're buying some from last year, but to feed our horse and goat, its a little crummy on the outside of the bale but inside its good to eat still. (we are buying big round bales)

yeah my dad actually found a lady on the way to return a borrowed tool to a friend that was trying to get rid of hay. we got it for like $4 a bale when we used to have to pay $14 for a bale half the size

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California

yeah my dad actually found a lady on the way to return a borrowed tool to a friend that was trying to get rid of hay. we got it for like $4 a bale when we used to have to pay $14 for a bale half the size

[​IMG] we normally pay around $4 for a square bale, if my hubby goes to help on the ranch to gather up the bales or stack em or whatnots - then we get them for around $2 [​IMG]

THe round bales we're getting are about 900pounds I think, $34 each. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by