First snow of the season

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We had to take a road trip yesterday from NC to PA and once we got to PA going about 1/2 way up Pleasantville Mountain in Bedford county it started snowing! It looked like it started as rain then froze as all the trees were bending over. At the top there was maybe an inch of snow. As we were driving up the mountain I asked Sharon if those were clouds towards the top? You could see a line where it was cold enough to ice above and not freeze below.

Steve in NC
    It will probably take us a couple days to get warm again [​IMG]

2. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Ours was on the 15th. My Newfoundland woke me up at 4am to tell me that she wanted to go out and play in the snow.

DH is not happy. He's the poor bugger who runs the snowblower.

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    no snow yet, but my front yard and everything is all white from the frost, just looked out thought snow, nope just frost, got down in the 20s

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Our mountains have lots of snow, and way up north, but just frost and ice here so far.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I woke up to snow in the tree line and flurries this morning. The chickens are not happy campers!

[​IMG]

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    We've had snow here in PA! State College/PSU was on the news because of the unusual early snowfall!! Brrr its freezing here right now!!!

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh! I'm not ready for winter yet! [​IMG] (Yes! I'm over reacting, but I don't like the cold. [​IMG] )

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You and me both!! We haven't had snow yet, but the water buckets that we keep by the spicket had ice on the tops [​IMG] That didn't happen last year till at least November! [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

It was 90 here today. God help us!!!

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:[​IMG]

It wasn't too bad today, it was about 65 I think. Now tonight it's supposed to be in the 20s...gotta love that Kentucky temp swing [​IMG]

It was cold enough that the guinea pigs were crying to go back to their porch cage when it was still 'daytime', I guess their little feet were getting cold [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by