First Snow (pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by itsmechrissy, Dec 17, 2011.

1. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Today was the first real snow fall for our girls... most of them still won't leave the coop, but Morticia (as always) was up for the adventure!

Here she is coming to get some treats!
    [​IMG]

Chicken Tracks!!!
    [​IMG]

Don't think she dug the snow much, found the closest non-snow covered spot to hang out in :)
    [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I love chicken footprints in the snow. [​IMG]

No snow for us yet. Heck, there hasn't even been rain.

3. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Quote:Aren't the tracks cute! I love how her pad made that perfect little circle [​IMG]

4. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Jealous! This is our first year owning chickens. We had some flurries already, but no good snow accumulation. We're REALLY ready to see how they react, and for our first chickens in the snow picture opportunities!

5. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    We're on the southern bit of that snowstorm this morning....

Black Java's are on semi-permanent strike. They came out under their covered run (no snow) and ate their treats. Then retreated to the coop for the duration of the day (or at least every time I checked on 'em, they were all indoors). I added another bag of pine shavings for them to 'investigate' and 'redecorate' their coop with. So that kept them busy most of the day. As for tomorrow's "activity"...I'm still working on that one. Perhaps some BOSS in their shavings to give them something to think about.

However, I DID get 4 eggs today from 5 pullets. They ROCK! Now I can make another batch of Christmas cookies! Yippeee!

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Holy cow! It was 60 degrees today in the NC foothills. Chicken tracks in the mud aren't so cute. Are they only able to print the letter "K" in the snow. A little talent and they could text talk.

7. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Snowed here. Our chooks (especially the young ones who have never really seen snow) think it's bread falling out of the sky...[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by