First Snow

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katharinad, Oct 25, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

x

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    funny how ducks are, we got snow three times this past winter and for central La that is really odd! But the ducks did not seem bothered by it all [​IMG]

3. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    How are your winters normally? I'm so not looking forward to the snow. I'm praying for a mild winter this year but seeing you already have snow, I don't think that will happen.. Well atleast you didn't have to shovel this early. LOL

4. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    What beautiful pics! You live in a gorgeous area!

And LOVE your Golden. My sister just moved in with her golden. Of course, ours is in that naughty puppy stage still! [​IMG]

5. katharinad

Our golden is only 11 month old, so he is still in the puppy phase too. He is pretty good, because we have all that land he can go wild on. Our winters are strange. We can get 3" or 3 feet per winter. In bad years it may be even more. This is a La Nina winter, which means lots of snow for us. The good news is that it is dry snow. Our humidity is always below 20%, which is really good. This also means the snow does evaporate during the winter. It's kind of strange to have a foot off snow diminishing into 6" without any melting. The road are different too. They plow, use no ice melt or sand, and then they just grade it. In the end you end up with a solid sheet of compacted snow on the highway, which you cannot drive on with summer tires. We all have studded tires and it is like driving on a normal road in summer. Perhaps a tiny bit slower. It stays white all winter long, because it does not melt. Very beautiful. The only season I hate is when it is in between. Melting and freezing over is a problem near the end of the winter.
    Here is are some pictures of a monster storm we had a couple of years ago.
    http://www.davitt.com/winter/
    Our dogs simply walked across the fence.

6. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:Oh my goodness! That is a ton of snow which I have never experienced before living in the south! My hubby is working in Pa and they get alot of snow, but he is coming back down here hopefully and will miss it!

7. katharinad

The snow on the east coast is very wet. Lived in Maryland and hated it. Driving was a nightmare. We have family in PA, same thing there. It's soooo different here on the west coast. Plus it snows for a day or two and then nothing for 2-3 weeks. That winter with all the crazy snow had only 2 snow falls. Once for 2 days with lots of snow, that is what you saw in the picture and then 3 weeks later another 2 inches over night. Last year we only had 4 inches total for the entire winter. One day of snow fall! This winter will be bad again. I don't mind this snow at all. First I thought it will be bad when we moved up here. I was all wrong. It is peaceful and beautiful. Plus we have 300 days of sunshine up here. The snow is so needed, because we have 8 long summer months without any rain. We do need the snow pack in the mountains. Yes is it Oregon, and in Portland it rains all the time. You go to the center of Oregon and we have sand dunes, no rain there.

8. VOX

VOX Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow nice pics, cant wait for the snow here. Cute ducks by the way [​IMG]

9. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    WOW!Those pics of the snow are crazy! So darn beautiful though! I'm a photographer and I tell ya, I would KILL for views like that.

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I don't want it to snow I want it to rain. It hardly ever snows in central Texas but last year we got around an inch & I'll have to admit it was beautiful out here on our farm. Its hot now around 90.Hope you don't get snowed in like those pictures that's crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by