First snow

CountryGeorge

Songster
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
New Braintree, Massachusetts
My rooster was yelling about being captive in the coop at 5:30 this morning as usual and I filled up a pail with warm water and hauled it and the fount that I brought into the house last night out to the run. I dusted the snow from their feeder and filled the fount and put it in place, lowered the drawbridge and raised the portcullis to open the chicken castle for the day.

The feathery critters boiled out of the coop as usual and then stopped dead on the ramp---what was all this white stuff!? As of right now, a couple of hours later, I don't think there is one chicken-print on the floor of the run. They are out but perched on the various roosts along with the ramp itself. It will be fun to see who is the bravest of them all that will venture out into the cold, cruel world of white stuff first.

George

I can hear them now:

You go.

No, you go first.

I'm not going out there

Anybody know what it is?

I don't care. I'm not going out there.

Neither am I. I like it in here.

I'm going back to sleep. Wake me when it's gone.

lol.png

Bless their little hearts.

I can hear them now:

You go.

No, you go first.

I'm not going out there

Anybody know what it is?

I don't care. I'm not going out there.

Neither am I. I like it in here.

I'm going back to sleep. Wake me when it's gone.

lol.png

Bless their little hearts.
"Oh, okay, I will go first, as usual"
"Oh, goody! We will follow you"

my last group of chickens was the same way - I couldn't even bribe them to come out in the snow. On the rare occasion one of those prissy girls was bumped out into the snow she would just stand there, sometimes on one foot. They would come out if I spread hay on top of the snow, but generally once the snow came they were inside girls.
I'm curious to see how my current flock deals with snow. Chickens are interesting critters.

Two weeks ago we had a dusting here in PA. My boss hen was first out. Second one out skidded across the porch of the coop. 1st hen went back to doorway as if to say "You DON'T. Want to go out there!" And they all stayed in! It was comical. They seemed to have gotten used to the cold, as the first few frigid morningsmtheyndidnt use the run. Now they are out in it most of the day. We haven't had anymore snow, luckily!

Funny!

Mine have never seen it, but I hope they will this winter! I always hope for snow, but we rarely get it.

If we get any snow this winter it is going to be interesting to see what happens....they are so comical anyway. Add the snow factor and it's going to get real "fun"! No I am NOT knitting sweaters and providing snow shoes for them. They will just have to learn to deal with it!
big_smile.png

I had to coax mine out with warm oatmeal left in the covered run.. Today the run gets side protection from wind and sideways precipitation. The two inches of snow in the run kept them in inside until I came up with a good reason for them to leave the hen house!

(the funniest part is that they refused to hang out in the hen house during Sandy!)

Well, the critters finally stepped into the horrible white stuff, convinced possibly by the handful of grapes I put down on their feeding tray. The rooster is still yelling at me for he is certain that this is all my fault and it is ruining his advanced leaf raking.

My chickens did indeed want out of their pen during Sandy and were very grumpy when I refused to chase chickens in gale force winds and kept them in duress vile. As it was they went into the uncovered part of their run any time the rain let up and got soaked. A soaked chicken looks pretty silly all told.

George

Back
Top Bottom