First soft eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by real_redhead, Sep 20, 2011.

1. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    [​IMG]

When I went out to open the coop this morning I had 1 egg in a nesting box. I think I have 2 girls who hadn't started laying yet. When I opened up the coop to add some food imagine my surprise when I saw these 2 soft shelled eggs laying under the roosting pole! I had been waiting for something like this but hadn't seen any yet. They are pretty neat and yet gross at the same time with the soft shell. Think I will scramble them up for the girls. I did put out some crushed egg shells thinking that will help. Should I also get some oyster shell? Haven't had a problem with the other girls who are laying.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think they could probably use some crushed oyster shell! That will definitely help them produce nice, strong eggshells. I've had a few of those shell-less eggs too lately. They are kinda cool! Squishy! [​IMG]

3. real_redhead

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Thanks, I had been holding off on the oyster shell to see what would happen. The guy at TSC said he never uses oyster shell and advised me not to spend the money unless I had too. Was hoping the egg shells I had been feeding them would help!

4. tsmith1499

tsmith1499 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD.
    I am new and getting back into chickens after being out of them since JR. high school. I'm 53. LOL What ratio of oyster shell to feed do you all use? I know when I did it a looooong time ago, they got oyster shell mixed in all the time. Thanks, Tom

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, I want to mention that the oyster shell was pretty expensive at TSC, but I found a farm store that sells it much cheaper, like $2.00 for a 10 lb bag!

So check a feed mill type farm store in your area......You can get much better prices there.

Sharon

6. real_redhead

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    I gave them a lot of crushed egg shells today. How often do they need oyster shell or egg shells? daily avery few days???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by