First spradle leg, now weeping eye/nostril

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wyoangel, Apr 16, 2012.

1. wyoangel

wyoangel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Nebraska
    Ok, I admit, I didn't intend to hatch a duckling. I told my students we were going to hatch chickens and one student brought in a duck egg. I told him it was very unlikely that it would hatch but we could try. Well, I started it 3 days before the chickens and it pipped 1 day after the lot of chicks hatched. Now comes a weekend, I haul the pipped duck egg home in an incubator as well as the tote with 13 baby chicks. Come home Saturday night (now been pipped for 2 days) and nothing had happened. So I decided to take a peek. Sure enough, there is my duckling waving his bill at me. So, I research, find out that I can help a little, I spritz and wait, pick back shell, spritz and wait. 2 hours later, he is mostly out of the shell. (Soooooo, maybe I rushed things, but it was 2 AM and I am pregnant!)

Anyways, he is weak...my fault, I shouldn't have rushed him. So, the next day I put a plate in with some boiled egg yolk. I also put in a shallow pan of water (1/8"). I begin to watch him in the incubator (I have adjusted heat and humidity some by now) and he can't walk well, 1 leg sprawls out (I've now figured out it is spradle leg...or am hoping). They say it is because of poor footing, but all of the chicks came out fine, you would think the duckling would too. So, my hubby and I rigged a band-aid splint to help him get corrected, it already looks better!

But, as I was getting him out to do the splinting I noticed a liquid bubble on his eye and his eye is closed most of the time. He had liquid on his bill, but I'm not sure if this is from the eye, or if it is seeping too. I made sure to wash well after I was done with him, and I bleached the counter where we worked on him.

What could this be? I did some reading and it sounded like a communicable disease....but from where? He has been in there alone. I washed the incubator before he hatched (it was getting smelly). I am afraid to take him to school, don't want to risk getting kiddos sick....but what about me? Salmonella??? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sounds like he needs to be able to wash his head frequently. Ducks can get foamy eye, and sinus and ear infections, if they cannot often wash their entire heads. Just a duck thing.

Some BYC friends have found a very dilute, cool chamomile tea as a head wash has helped their ducks or ducklings lately.

There are antibiotic drops, too, but a good cleanup may fix it up.

You are quite busy, but if you can upload a photo, that would be nice (love duckling pics!)

3. wyoangel

Apr 16, 2012
    Nebraska
    [​IMG]
    2 days old....no idea what kind he is. I have now given him/her a small bowl of water, and dunked his head several times. I'm afraid to let him swim as he has a splint on his legs. I also don't have any chamomile tea available....but can get some tomorrow.

4. wyoangel

Apr 16, 2012
    Nebraska
    Here are some pics....trying to get his left eye which is the problem this evening.....the very first pic I posted was taken this morning...I had my hubby take it so I could show the kiddos. These pics below are less than 12 hours later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would get some antibiotic eye drops asap, and also do the chamomile head dunk.

Vitamins, electrolytes and probiotics to boost his system, at least some unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, a tablespoon in a couple of cups of water, for him to sip (tonic).

My understanding is that eye problems come from the bacteria that are already in our environment. Without enough head washing, and sometimes for reasons we will not know, these bacteria get ahold of the tissue and cause problems. Caught early enough, they can be knocked out and all is well.

Same thing with bumblefoot, a foot infection. It is caused by staph germs, which are everywhere (acne is caused by this at least sometimes, if I recall correctly). When a duck's foot gets a cut or abrasion, sometimes the staph germs get in and if not treated in time, the infection can go systemic and kill the poor duck. So sad.

So, being pregnant, perhaps you can call in some favors from friends and family and have them get ahold of some disinfecting and antibiotic supplies for you.

Prayers and hugs for you both.

[​IMG]

6. wyoangel

Apr 16, 2012
    Nebraska
    @Amiga, thank you SO much for your help! Lucky seems to be doing great! I even had called my vet to get eye ointment....but I don't think we are going to need it! His eye looks perfect! I dunked his head four times last night (not in a row).

I did get some unpastuerized apple cider vinegar, unflavored yogurt, and chamomile tea. I'm thinking all three are a great idea anyways. How much vinegar to water??

I took him outside for a little while this afternoon...he chased an ant, but never succeeded in capturing it. His hobble slows him WAY down in the grass...for now he sticks to dirt and cement! :) Thank you for your help!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Vinegar to water, I add a tablespoon to a gallon of water for normal circumstances (when I just want to give the flock a boost).

For the little guy, you might try a tablespoon to a quart, see how it goes. That is still fairly dilute . . . don't want to make the baby pucker!

This is such terrific news. Shew!

Keep lovin' him, give him treats and tonics, let's hope he'll keep improving and make us all happy!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by